Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Trash to Treasure

Old 04-09-2003, 10:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
chuckle Finally decorating with my "trash" finds

Im finally getting the chance to decorate with all of my finds and hand-me-downs.

First I have an old window-complete with handle and lock-that we are going to paint white and then age. It has 6 panes in it so in 3, Im going to put my kids pictures in them and then the other 3, some kind of dried flowers or something to match the living room.

Underneath that, there is a round table that actually has claw feet. The top is a little warped but I think that adds to the charm of it. With a coat of white paint, it should look great. BTW, I found both of these in the garbage- along with an end table that I sold at the yard sale- in a neighbors garbage.

Next I have my grandmothers old treadle sewing machine that is going to become a flower box. DH is going to remove the sewing machine only and then turn the sewing machine cover ( its a wooden box) upside down and place it where the machine was. The rest of the stand Im leaving in tact. A coat of paint and it should look great.....that is if I can actually find a plant that I cant kill!!

I am lucky enough to have my mothers crib from when she was born! Its old and beaten and I just love it! It is pink now-which would actually blend into my living room but Im afraid that the paint has lead in it so it will get fresh paint too. It will be used to hold blankets( actually quilt tops from my grandmother) and magazines.

In the dining room, I have my grandmothers old hutch-style cabinet that has been waiting for 4 yrs for me to do something with it. Finally!! Another trash find is a wooden country shelf that has 2 doors with hearts on it....in perfect condition except for the bow that was on the top of it......bow gone! Im adding an Americana flag to its place.

I cant wait to start exploring the garbage around here!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

A new find today

DH found 2 huge cooking pots that had obviously been stored away for a while. They are like old time kettles--made out of heavy aluminum?? not cast iron, not really sure. They are complete with handles and all. I would love to clean one of them and use it to cook with for boiling potatoes or corn on the cob. Might have been used as a big pot for canning.

My question is.....How should I go about cleaning it? Its not really stained or anything, just really dirty from sitting around. How can I sterilize it for cooking?

As for the second one, Im thinking of making it a plant holder....just a thought. If we had a fireplace, it would be great for firewood but we dont so...... Any other ideas??

Thanks,
Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 04-13-2003, 12:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing POT IDEAS....

I HAVE MY GRANDMOTHER'S CAST IRON DUTCH OVEN WHICH HAD A HOLE IN IT; I PUT CHAIN ON THE HOOKS ON EACH SIDE AND HUNG IT; IT HOLDS FLOWERS.

I HAVE AN OLD ENAMEL POT THAT I USED THAT GOT A HOLE IN IT; I PLANTED AN OUTDOOR FERN IN IT; IT IS PLACED IN MY ROCK GARDEN WITH MY "OLD-TIMEY" WATER PUMP FEATURE. YOU CAN ALSO TAKE OLD POTS AND PLANT SOME TRAILING VINES OR WAVE PETUNIAS AND PLACE THEM ON THEIR SIDE IN A FLOWER BED.

THESE OLD POTS CAN SET BY THE BACK DOOR OR MUD ROOM TO HOLD WET UMBRELLAS.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tami... If the are metal, I would just do a good elbow grease job on them with good old brillo.... rinse very well..and boil water in them .......can you post a pic of what you found?

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 04-13-2003, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

how about a magazine holder - or a towel holder in the bathroom?
Old 04-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pot idea

I have small children and we use a large cleaned pot (I have seen some that were painted over as well) in our living room corner to hold shoes and such and then in the winter that's where I put the little ones coats, gloves and hats. Easy to find, easy to clean up.

A good scrubbing, rinsed with good hot water should be all you need to clean them for canning. When you can you won't put food in the pot - just the jars (already packed with food) will actually touch the pot. We do alot of canning - making our own jellies so I have several of those pots around the house.

Shelly
Old 04-16-2003, 03:27 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm a garbage picker, I'll admit it. I learned from a master, my mother. my latest garbage find was one of those inexpensive pressed board nightstands that used to be white but was a stained mess. When I cleared out my 15 yr old son's room and got him a new bed I realized that nightstand would be perfect so I handed him a can of black spraypaint and said, it's yours, do what you want. He now has a "new" nightstand that looks much better painted shiny black than it did white!

Happy trash finds!

Lisa
Old 04-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Those are excellent ideas!!!

When we were cleaning up our attic... I found a piece of moulding that was above a door... one of those old old style mouldings.... I saw a show on HGTV and they put hooks on it and made it into a coat rack!!!!

I cant wait for garage sale season to start ;-)
Old 04-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am enjoying reading about all your treasures. What great ideas!
The treadle sewing machine brought back memories of my grandmother working on hers! Thanks.

Sandy
Old 04-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sherbear- I did the same thing for a coat rack in the house we lived in 2 ago. We took a piece of knotty pine and stained it, then added old ( what looked to be?) wrought iron hooks to it. I bought the hooks at a yard sale really really cheap. It worked great!

Im still unpacking from moving but I think I packed away some of those hooks while packing up some junk--DH says no but I think I did, LOL-- I want to make a hall tree for my sunporch so that the coats can hang out there for the warm months and not in my way in the house.

Im going to clean the pot with the suggestions given on here.

I love the idea of the towel holder in the bathroom but our bathroom is rather small and I think it would take up too much room in there. I think Im going to clean it up and paint something Americana on it to match the dining room and use it eventually to hold stuff. I had a chance to get a smaller version of this same pot 2 nights ago but at the time I decided to go back later to get it.....well I forgot about it and now its gone. Looks like we have some professional pickers around here. They arent like me--I try to be sly about it so that no one sees me ...Haha!! ---These guys dont care, they just pull up at any time and take it. You know what they say.....the early bird gets the worm!!

Sandy, Thanks for the nice note. I have so many memories throughout my house. Whiel searching for the hooks from above, Im also looking for a very old flag that was my grandfathers. It was a small one, all worn and tattered. It is one of the only things I have of his. I want to frame it but darned if I can find it. I know that I packed it away somewhere "safe" but now where would that be?

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus