Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Toddlers

Toddlers What did your toddler do today? Is he getting into everything? Tell us all about the smiles and frustrations here!

Old 06-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Potty Trained 3 yo DD Regressing

My once potty trained 3 year old daughter is now wetting her pants! I've taken her to the doctor to rule out a bladder infection, etc. All is well. She's been doing this for the last four months now. She can control it when she really wants to, such as if I promise her a prize for staying dry. But most of the time, she just tinkles in her pants and doesn't care that she is wet and stinky. She does number two just fine in the potty. Any ideas????
Old 06-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

All I can tell you is that sometimes kids regress a little, especially when they're trained before the age of three. At least that's been my experience with my girls and friends kids too.
It's hard to be patient but that's my only advice-unless there's been some changes in her life. Changes always cause anxiety in kids.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Has the doctor ruled out other issues like urinary reflux? My DD was tested for that when she was 4.
Another issue could be that when she does urinate, she doesn't completely empty her bladder. Then she gets busy and can't hold it in anymore.
I would suggest staying on top of it. Take her to the bathroom every hour (or less if she can't make it that long). Eventually stretch out the time between trips. Reward her (with praise, or whatever reward is appropriate in your house) for taking herself to the bathroom when she needs to go.
Hope this helps!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have some strong opinions and feelings on this issue. Most children who are pressured to potty by a certain age seem to struggle emotionally as adults. If there is nothing physically or psychologically wrong with her, I wouldn't worry about it. However, I agree with Barbszy in checking on further physical problems. Also, you may want to investigate what is going on in her personal life if she is at a daycare, babysitter, or even at friends' homes when she is away from you. Many times children regress when there is a new baby around getting most of the attention or if there is something upsetting to them such as abuse, divorce, and any other emotionally disturbing things. Although you may not think something is a big deal, such as moving, it may be traumatic to your child. If it is emotional, let her share her feelings with you through coloring or Playdough.

The best ideas I ever got was from a book called, "Potty Training in Less Than a Day." I do not know if it is still in print, but the author potty-trained mentally ill people and shared his ideas. I have never seen a child potty-trained in less than a day, but the ideas really boosted the children that I kept and the parents were impressed. First, get a drink/wet doll--the kind that the child will feed a bottle of water and then turn the baby over the toilet to "pee." Then, get some M&M's or other tiny candy as a reward. I kept them handy in the bathroom so that the child would have an instant reward. (Younge children have NO abstract thinking skills, such as time and therefore would forget the reward in a very breif time.) I would take the child to be potty-trained to the bathroom and let him/her feed the doll the water at the potty. Then, let the child turn the baby over the toilet so it can "pee." Instantly allow the child to give the doll 2-3 M&Ms as a reward. Of course, the child will be able to eat the M&Ms. After a few times, the doll won't need to be feed or to "pee" instead allow the child to do it themself. Also, give the child plenty of salty food so that he/she will be thirsty and thus drink a lot. The more he/she drinks the more he/she will need to unrinate. This will give you more chances to train.

Well, I hope I was a help and not a hinderance. Good luck!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-01-2005, 12:17 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

I would never do this myself unless my child was older, Dr. phill would tell you to take a garbage bag and cut leg holes in it, put it on your child like a pair of pants right over their wet pants and make them stay that way for a certain amount of time. The child they did this with on the show quit wetting himself on purpose after a couple of days.

Is there a new baby or pet in the house? Sometimes that is the cause.

Coll
Old 07-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coll
I would never do this myself unless my child was older, Dr. phill would tell you to take a garbage bag and cut leg holes in it, put it on your child like a pair of pants right over their wet pants and make them stay that way for a certain amount of time. The child they did this with on the show quit wetting himself on purpose after a couple of days.

Is there a new baby or pet in the house? Sometimes that is the cause.

Coll
Wow! It seems like the acid in the urine would eat at the child's skin! It seems like the plastice alone would be uncomfortable.

Old 07-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Just a thought.
But when my mom trained my brother many years ago, (as he'll be 49 tomorrow) she made him wear some nylon panties and when he got wet they stuck to his body and at the time he didn't like clingy things. That stop him really fast.

Another idea is take her shopping for some panties that she likes and if she gets the idea that if she wants to keep them dry they willstay pretty longer and she'll be able to wear themfor longer periods.

Good Luck, as mine had accendents until they were older.
One of my daughters would get so constipated that she had more accidents then we wanted to see. Took her to the urinoligist (sp) and had x-rays taken to find out. we had to give her small laxatives to help.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I tried that Potty Training In Less Than A Day book when my son was 2.5. Boy, did it backfire! He absolutely refused to urinate unless he got candy for it.

Some children at this age, especially girls, are verbal enough that you can actually discuss it with her. Honey, you used to go potty and I have noticed that recently you are having pee-pee "accidents." Is something going on?
Depending on the child, there are all sorts of possible issues. Some kids are trying to exert control over you with the one thing that she - not you - controls.

It doesn't sound like totally regressing, since she is defecating in the toilet. Sometimes the whole growing up thing is two steps forward and one step back.

Rani
Old 07-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasparcat
I tried that Potty Training In Less Than A Day book when my son was 2.5. Boy, did it backfire! He absolutely refused to urinate unless he got candy for it. Rani
Wow! I just goes to show you that people are unique and what works on one does not work on another.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:48 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The only thing I ever needed for my kids and the other kids I trained was a wet and drink doll. You can have the child use the doll to potty train. It really helps them understand the concept of what you are trying to do.