Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Household Hints & Tips > Tips - Walls, Floors, & Windows

Old 02-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

How do you keep a rug from rolling?

I have a 8x10 area rug in my living room that one side keeps rolling up in one spot, just enough to trip ya
How can you stop a rug from turning up? I've tried the two sided tape but that does damage to the wood floor, no good. I heard about cutting a peel 'n' stick tile in half on the diagonal and attaching that to the underside of the rug to keep it down. Now I have a sticky roll to trip on/ stick to didn't work either.
Anyone got any idea's??????
TIA
Otheila
Old 02-08-2003, 01:39 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

PUT DOWN A STRIP OF BLUE PAINTERS TAPE THIS SHOULD NOT HURT THE FLOOR ON TOP OF THAT PUT A LINE OF VELCRO..THEN PUT THE OTHER PART OF THE VELCRO ON THE RUG USE THE PEEL AND STICK VELCRO AND PUT THE TWO TOGETHER IT WILL STAY DOWN.....
Old 02-08-2003, 01:52 PM
Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Groupie

I saw a helpful hint on a show where they took a piece of floor tile (not the ceramic kind), and cut it in hal diagonally. (If it is a large one, you could probably cut it in quarters) and the glued the triangle to the bottom corner of the rug. It looked like it would work quite well.

"Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements."
- Marcel Boulestin

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 02-08-2003, 02:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I would think some double stick tape might work for that, or...have you tried turning the rug over the opposite way and setting heavy objects on the back in order to "train" the rug to lay right? I have had to do that with rugs that were purchased in a roll. Hope you get it figured out...that...or some really great insurance :p
Old 02-08-2003, 06:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

Those curling up rugs are just a nuisance to say the least. What we did with ours was to put some double sided tape across the bottom and top and then tape the rug to the carpet. You could tape it on floors too.

Another suggestion would be to get some of that waffle stuff so that rugs don't slip on hardwood floors. Tape the waffle stuff to the rug and then let the rug grip to the floor. This works too.

Good luck with your renovations.

Pat
Old 02-08-2003, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks for the ideas. Cutting the tile in half did work but only briefly and left a sticky flip upped section So now do you not only trip, but the carpet sticks to you as you are going down or it'll steal your socks lol.
The rubber stuff ( looks like bubble wrap) that you put under your rug to keep it from slidding didn't work either.
I'm going to try turning the carpet around and retraining it.
Thanks again.
Otheila
Old 02-09-2003, 07:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

There's a product you can get at Home Depot or anywhere rug and carpet supplies are sold -- I can't remember the exact name of it but if you ask a salesperson they're sure to know.

It's a two sided tape. You cut the tape to the length needed, peel off the paper on one side, and stick it to the floor where you want the rug to be. Then you peel off the paper from the other side, press the rug over it, and "shazam!" -- no more curling rug.

There are two forms of this product, one for rugs on bare floors, and one for rugs over carpet. I use both, and swear by it. It doesn't harm rug or floor and leaves no sticky residue. You can peel back and re-stick the rug as needed, like for cleaning.

Best of all, it's very inexpensive!

Love to all

Gramz
Old 02-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle I agree with snowowl551

I saw this tip on one of those home decorating shows. I know I have seen the peel and stick tiles in the dollar store for 3/99. For that price it is deffinatly worth a try!
Old 02-10-2003, 04:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

Rolling rugs and carpet have plagued me for years. The culprit turned out to be the padding. It was too close to the edge. I cut back the padding then used double stick tape to "retrain" the carpet.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

How I fixed my rug

My rug did the same thing. I would wet the curling parts, curl it back by hand, and let it dry that way. It would only last about a week. Then, about 10 years ago, I bought cans of rubber backing that you paint on to the underside of rugs to keep them from slipping, similar to rubber cement. I got it from a catalog like Improvements or something. I occasionally would see it at hardware stores. I turned over the rug, rolled the curled-up edges back the right way, and painted them. After it dried, it stayed put. I don't know if it's still made.

I'm thinking that there must be another type of product that would work, like a coat of polyurethane on the back of the curling edges, or something else that will stiffen it.