Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Household Hints & Tips > Tips - Kitchen

Old 04-04-2002, 11:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Removing Rust on Cookie Sheets

Does anyone know of an effective way to remove rust from regular cookie sheets ? A couple of mine have rust on them from me washing them and setting them in the drainer to dry instead of hand drying them. I dont want to throw them out if I dont have to but I cant wash it off with plain soap and water. Any ideas ?
Old 04-05-2002, 01:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Have tou tried some non-abrasive cleaners or the use of a sponge with the scrubber?

I have one that I use parchment paper (or waxed paper) with so I can still use it.

I will check to see what else I can come up with. (I will search my library of books and get back to you )
Old 04-14-2002, 01:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I have tried using an abrasive scrubber after the non abbrasive stuff didnt work....nothing. Two of them are cupcake pans so I cant use anything ( except for cupcake papers of course) in them. I hanging on to them for a little while longer just in case you come up with something.....nothing like putting you on the spot, huh ?

They didnt cost that much so Ill probably just pitch them out.

Thanks for looking for me !
Old 04-15-2002, 10:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb

you can use old muffin pans for melting crayon bits into big, multi-color toddler crayons,

you can use it in the garden to start seeds,

you can use them in the garage for sorting nuts, bolts, screws, nails,

give to children to play in the sand with...

hope these help...

Remember:
Wherever you go, there you are!
Old 04-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have heard that you can use an onion (just cut in half and rub it on the spots). I can't even remember if I tried it.....but if it works let me know.

Also, Bar Keeper's Friend has always been the best for rust. I don't know what makes it so different from other abrasive cleaners but there's something about it. My mom always swore she could clean anything if she made a paste of Bar Keeper's Friend and Palmolive (had to be Palmolive). We had hard water and she used this to remove the stains from where the water hit under the faucet.

I use store brands most of the time and Dawn dishwashing if on sale....but if I have rust or a particularly bad stain I grab the Bar Keeper's Friend. It's worth it ;-)

Good Luck!!

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-17-2002, 05:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

rust stains

If you know a daycare or afterschool program even a classroom, you might want to see if they could use them. I work in afterschool and I use the muffin tins for separating paint, glue, beads, etc. I very rarely get nice rusted pans. When my staff and I buy muffins or cupcakes we bring in the old junk plastic ones. Just an idea. (dramatic play is another area that any old pots, pans, and cooking supplies)
Learngirl
Old 04-17-2002, 09:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Another thought ...

You can scrub the rust off, but unless you do something to prevent it from returning after washing, you will have the same problem again within a few hours.

I recently bought some really heavy duty cake baking pans from a bakery department in graduated sizes (for $1 a pan, and are they ever nice!) but the reason they were getting rid of them was too many dings and dents and some places beginning to rust. After scrubbing them aggressively with a metal scrubber and plenty of soap and water, I dried them carefully by hand and then sprayed them lightly with a cooking spray, wiping out the excess with a paper towel. It did the trick!

I reapply this very light spray and wipe out each time I wash them, and so far, it has done the trick. Also use this method on a very well-worn but still useable metal deep dish pizza pan that went through the dishwasher too many times.

I also try to remember to wipe the pan(s) with a towel before I use them again just to make sure I don't have some undesirable thing sticking to the "grease" coating.

Worth a try on your pans before you pitch them!

Sandie
Old 04-17-2002, 10:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Exclamation rust on Cookie Sheets

You should purchase Wilton Enterprises bakeware. They do not rust, so you never have to worry about how to remove it! They have great products. You can find Wilton products at all major department stores, including Michaels, Wal-Mart.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
I have cookie sheets that I have used for over 25 years. I made the mistake of putting them in the dishwasher and they started rusting. I used an sos pad with a light pressure, rinsing often often and using my fingers to tell that there were no rough spots left on them. I then rinsed them very well in hot water, dried them by hand and then put a very thin film of oil on them and put them into a warm oven; turned the oven off and let them cool in the oven. I now wash them by hand; dry them with a towel and then put them into a warm oven (turned upside down) to let them finish drying completely. You may occasionally need to repeat this process to keep them in usable condition or if they are badly rusted you may have to work them over more than once.
Good luck and God Bless!
Old 04-18-2002, 05:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

I was watching DIY and the queen of clean show was on she said try cream of tater and lemon juice, make into a paste and leave on for a bit than wipe away. She also said to try lighter fluid Put on soft cloth and rub on where the rust is then wipe off.

Hope these things work.

kelly