Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Household Hints & Tips > Tips - Clothing & Laundry

Old 03-24-2002, 10:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

How to clean your wedding dress yourself

I was married last May and have yet to get my gown cleaned. I am thinking of selling it as I will never wear it again and it just sits in my closet taking up space . So, my question is, instead of paying someone $100 or more to clean it, is there any way that I can do it myself? It is just the bottom of the dress that is a bit dirty. I don't have to clean the entire thing. I was thinking of maybe hanging it in the bathtub and using Woolite on it. Any other suggestions???

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2002, 02:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Cleaning your wedding gown at home
By Rachel Coker

Jonathan Scheer, president and CEO of J. Scheer and Co., says brides can clean their gowns at home in many cases.

"I donít mean throwing it into the washing machine and hoping for the best," he says. Rather, he recommends a careful hand cleaning.

The first step is determining what fabrics were used in the dress. Read the care label inside the gown or ask the salon where the gown was purchased. Polyester is a good candidate for an at-home wet cleaning, Scheer says. Itís sturdy and has a low shrinkage rate. Silk, which comes in several varieties, is often washable, too. Acetate and many rayons, on the other hand, will shrink and distort in water. Try cutting a small square of fabric from inside the hem for a pre-cleaning test. Itís OK to wash the gown if a piece of fabric immersed in water and air-dried returns to normal.

Scheer recommends cleaning with a clear, unscented dishwashing or soft soap that contains sodium lauryl sulfate.

Fill a bathtub with warm water and a 5 percent solution of the cleaner. Next, pre-treat water-soluble stains, such as food, with a towel dipped in the cleaning solution. Oily stains, such as lipstick, should be treated with a stronger solution, perhaps 10 percent.

Red wine stains should be pre-treated with white vinegar. Rinse and repeat until the stains are dissolved. Next, itís time to immerse the dress in the tub. Clean both sides of the gown with a rolled towel or sea sponge, which should take about 10 minutes in all.

Drain the tub and rinse the dress with distilled water until thereís no soap remaining. Between five and 10 gallons of water will be needed. When thatís done, put the gown on a flat surface. A floor with a white sheet laid out will work. Put a white towel on top of the dress and start to roll it up. That will press water into the towel without placing undue stress on the fabric. Repeat that process with both sides of the gown until itís only damp, not wet.

Leave the dress on the flat surface, put a house fan on nearby so it blows back and forth across the gown and let the dress air dry. Now the dress is ready to be stored.

Wrap it in 10 yards of washed undyed, unbleached muslin. Put the dress on top of the muslin, fold the muslin over the gown and fold the gown in half. Next, find a place where it can be stored flat in an environment thatís not too humid or too dry. Under a bed or on a bedroom shelf would be ideal. Consider the attic and basement off-limits.

found at: http://www.geocities.com/rmcoker/wedclean.html
Old 03-25-2002, 08:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you so much, Shawn! I knew there had to be a way to do it myself. Now, I just have to cross my fingers that I do it correctly