Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Tightwad Tips

Old 05-30-2002, 04:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Disposable Diapers? Pros and Cons.

We don't have any children yet, but we want to be a little more prepared if we ever do.
I think I would like to use disposable diapers. If you could give any pros or cons that would be great. Along with how many diapers you ended up buying, how you went about cleaning them, and anything else.
Thanks for all your knowledge and wonderful ideas
Old 05-30-2002, 05:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Do you realize you asked how to clean disposable diapers? We don't have any children yet either. I plan to use cloth diapers. My in-laws think I am crazy. I have read that it can save $800-$1,000 per child over disposables. That includes the investment of the diapers, soap, and laundry. That sold DH, so he is willing to try. I plan to stay at home so the laundry will be mostly my responsibility with DH just changing some of them. The Tightwad Gazette Books sold me on the whole diaper delima. I don't have any experience in it yet, but I'm gonna try!
Old 05-30-2002, 02:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't know what I was thinking:p
I meant to ask about cloth diapers. How to clean cloth diapers!!!
Sorry for the confusion.
What are people's thoughts about disposable versus cloth???
I imagine if you have a child in daycare they require disposable, but if you stay at home cloth may be a great option.
How many cloth diapers did you end up buying. Or if you use disposable, how many packs on average do you end up buying a week.
And I think if I remember correctly, in the Complete Tightwad Gazette she mentions that it says on the box that it is recommend to rinse out disposable diapers. Yes, I did mean disposable this time
Old 05-31-2002, 11:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

cloth diapers

I use cloth diapers and LOVE it! My family thinks I'm crazy but I'm saving a ton of money. I'm a stay at home mom and my baby is 2 months old. I had a hard time finding supplies and instructions. The Tightwad Gazette has some info on how to clean them and I have looked at several websites too. I couldn't find any info in baby care books.

First of all, I think it's great to plan ahead before you have kids! I asked for cloth diapers and supplies for shower gifts so that really cut down on my costs too! I have 3 dozen thinner Gerber cloth diapers and 3 dozen thicker ones (cost about $12 a dozen). The thicker ones don't fit so well on a tiny baby and they didn't fit in the covers I bought so I'm glad I have the thinner ones. I know some websites swear by the diaper service quality or different brands but I think these work just fine. I found some covers at a thrift sore for $1, so I bought a couple to try them out. I liked the Gerber diaper wraps which I couldn't find at any stores near me (I live in NE Wisconsin) so I ordered a few from an online store for about $4.50 each. I got about 4 in each size. I also got a few"rubber" pants and pins as back up. If I were to start over I'd just go with the pins and pants from the start. The covers cost more and the pin/pant method isn't really that bad. In fact, I think you can get a better fit with the pins. My dh was worried about sticking the baby but it hasn't happened yet. The "rubber" or vinyl pants are under a $1 each at Walmart or Target. I had a really hard time finding a decent diaper pail too. I couldn't even find a plain bucket with a lid. You could use large laundry detergent bucket or something like that but I wanted something that looked nice in the nursery. I ended up using the Safety First odorless pail. It works okay. I don't smell anything at least.

We did use disposables for the first few weeks so I didn't have to worry about the laundry in those first crazy days when it's all you can do to get showered and dressed. We bought the cheapest generic which were $6.97 for 48 at Walmart. I couldn't believe how fast we went through them (2 packs a week at least) and how much extra trash we had! It was frustrating to change the baby and them have him poop again two seconds later! No wonder we went through so many and what a waste of money! The disposables we used did leak a lot if you ask me. Which did make for more laundry. I 'm sure Pampers don't leak as bad but they cost about double. I haven't had a leak since we switched to the cloth.

Right now we are just using the thinner cloth diapers. I wash about every 4-5 days when we use them all. I fill the pail a little over half way and add 1/4 cup borax. I don't know if it does anything or not but I don't smell anything. As I change the diapers I toss them in the pail. I'm breastfeeding and that makes for runny poops that kind of soak in so I don't bother rinses them out in the toilet. When I get a solid form I'll drop it in the toilet first. On laundry day I pour the whole yucky mess right into the washer. I run it through rinse once. Then I use hot water and add detergent. I don't use those fancy baby brands of detergent, just the regular stuff. I rinse once or twice sometimes adding vinegar or baking soda to the final rinse. I don't use bleach or fabric softner. Bleach is hard on fabrics and the softener would interefere with the absorbency. I hang my diapers out on the clothes line. I can't believe how well the sun bleaches out stains. It really is amazing, you won't believe it until you see it. I can't figure out why the stains disappear so easily on the cloth diapers but not off shirts! So I always try to do the diaper load on a nice sunny day. I don't know what I'll do in the winter

I wash the covers seperate with regular clothes. If they got any poop on them I rinse it out really good right away and let them dry until I do laundry. I've discovered by mistake that the spot remover and the borax screw up the water proof covering. I hang the covers out on the line and the sun removes stains from them too!

I use homemade wipes too. I cut up several of dh's old t-shirts into 9x9 squares. I put them in a container with a little bit of warm water and liquid baby bath soap. Then I just toss them in the pail with the diapers.

Sorry this is so long. I'm so glad you guys want to give cloth a try. I think the little extra trouble (an extra load or two of laundry) is worth the money you save! I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Just think if you use cloth diapers and breastfeed you'll save a bunch of money! Good luck!
Old 05-31-2002, 12:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thank you so much for the advice. I plan to use cloth diapers and you are doing things the way I invision. It is hard to convince family members I'm not crazy!
Old 06-01-2002, 08:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am in the same situation as you. Here are a few websites that gave me basic information about cloth diapers such as types of diapers, materials used and posible savings on cloth diapers vs disposable. I was very surprised to find out that they are cloth diapers designed so differently from the diapers of the past - all in one diapers, flushable liners and velcro closures make me wonder why I even thought about disposables. I am really happy to see there are a range of cloth diapers to choose from depending on your lifestyle.

Modern Stork

Main Street Mom

Frugal Moms

Weefurbished

Epinions - Cloth Diapers
Old 06-02-2002, 05:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi! I'll give you the little bit that I've learned. As the mom of three & trying to be the "perfect mom", I've tried both. My personal experience with cloth diapers was bad. I don't recommend them. They leak, they stink & they're a pain. They are no less expensive than disposable if you buy the generic. By the time you pay for detergent, bleach and the electricity to run your washing machine and dryer and heat the hot water, you are defeating your purpose. My first was alergic to Pampers and they're no better than anything else. Huggies were awful, they leaked really badly, but of course they could be made differently now. We always bought generic and had really good luck with them. You just have to buy different brands until you find one you're happy with. Oh, and if you have a fat baby, don't expect to use more than 4 or 5 pkgs. of newborn size disposable ones. They grow too fast to use more than that!! I know from experience. All three of mine weighed over 8 pounds.

I guess to sum it all up really simply, is yes, I definitely agree with the lady who said she used disposable diapers the first few weeks! That's very smart! Then when you feel up to extra laundry, try the cloth. If you don't like them, you can always switch. I think this is something that everyone has their own opinion on. Some said they love cloth, but some don't. Just try different ones & come to your own conclusion. Hope this helps.

Kathy
Old 06-02-2002, 05:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am a SAHM of 3 children and used cloth diapers for about 6 months on my first child. After careful anylization of the process, I found that I was spending about the same amount if not more on using cloth diapers. Disposable diapers are well designed to keep moisture away from the skin. My children have very sensative skin and 2 of the 3 have exemia. I found that especially durning the summer months, the plastic pants irritated the skin even more. So, after adding my water bill, special detergents, various rash cream (both non prescription and prescription), it made a difference in the long run to just use disposable diapers. I do, however, make my own baby wipes.

2 C water
2 T baby oil
2 T baby bath (I use johnson and johnson)
1/2 roll of bounty paper towles

cut the roll in 1/2 and microwave for apx 20 seconds. This helps remove the center roll
in a circular tupperware type container combine ingredients, mix, insert paper towles, put the lid on and turn upside down. Voila!
Ther ingredients are something that my baby is used to as well as much more gentle on the skin. So far, my 10 month old has had NO rashes and I still use disposable!

Good luck to you.
Old 06-02-2002, 05:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cloth diapers

Of course, I am talking from the dark ages--my kids are 25 and 30, but I used cloth diapers, even though Pampers were the rage. I know disposables have improved, but our kids got horrible diaper rashes from them when we had to use them--like at daycare or on trips.

I would recommend what we did--get diaper service for the first 4-6 weeks. You mentioned the number of diapers you went thru then and also how hectic those first weeks are and you are right. Ask for diaper serevice as a shower gift. Truly, you don't use as many diapers a day after that.

We had 6 dozen diapers. With my first one, I had Birdseye ones that are long, thin and rectangualr that you have to fold. They fit any size baby (maybe a preemie would be hard, but they have preemie diapers now).But with our second, I got the tri-folded perfolds. More in next post. Mona
Old 06-02-2002, 05:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

more cloth diapers

Continued.
Actually I got these when our oldest one was older, too. I LOVED these. You can also fold them down for a newborn (ok our kids were 7-14 and 8-13, so they were big babies) and you can fold them for boys (think in front) or girls (thick in back). You can also double-or-triple-diaper when they get bigger.

I thought velco diapers would be great, but they arrived too late for us. We never stuck a kid, but did stick ourselves!

Think of cloth diapers as buying vs leasing. When you are done you still own them and they make great cleaning cloths for decades.

We rinsed the poopy ones in the toilet and put them in a diaper pail with a deaodorant soak and washed every day or every other day in hot water with mild soap (Ivory) and usually put them thru 2 washes.

HTH. Mona