Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Food > Planning Ahead > Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping > Grocery Shopping > Stocking Up

Old 04-11-2003, 07:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Dehydrated Foods

Hi Everyone,

I have an offer to buy some #10 cans of dehydrated foods along with a number of family members. If we place a large order the discount is 40%. I would like to take advantage of this chance to save so much!

I just don't know what to order! What do you use the most of? I am considering a number of vegetables and stew base, apple slices, corn for milling, whole eggs, powdered milk, cream soup base, onions, etc. What tastes good in your opinion?

We would like to actually use the food we are buying, not just store it in the basement for bad times.

Any advise would be very much appreciated!
Jenna
Old 04-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've never seen dehydrated food in cans that big, so I'm interested in what the recommendations are too. Is this through a food co-op?

I vacuum seal food after I dehydrate it, then I can take out what I need and re-seal the bag. It's so humid here in Virginia that that's the only way the stuff will last.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

milk, egg whites, tomatoes, any fruit but watch the sulfer...some use sulfer to keep the color and some people have a reaction to it. veggies, soup mixes, cheese product, stuff like that would interest me
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 04-13-2003, 01:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

If you can get potato pearls, get them. My family likes potato pearls better than potato flakes, but I would recommend them if you can't get the pearls. I also like apple slices, not only for cooking, but snacking on as well, much healthier, also banana chips. If you are a big popcorn fan, you might want some of that. This reminds me, I need to go to our church cannery and can up some of everything I have talked about, I want to get some food stored away, but I want some apple slices...yummy treats!
Old 04-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks Ladies!

This food is from a company that sells dehydrated food for food storage on-line. There are many of them that mostly sell in #10 and #2.5 cans. Walton Feed is a very popular one.

I can get Potato Pearls, so I added a can to my list. Thanks for the tip momofjems!

I think, I have changed my order about 5 times! LOL! I am going to have to make up my mind soon, we are ordering on Tuesday!

It makes me feel good to know that I will have plenty of food in my storage.

Jenna
Old 04-13-2003, 08:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

oh yeah, one more suggestion.......how about hot chocolate mix? Or one more......pudding mixes....if you use all my suggestions you could go broke, sorry. I do a good job spending other people's money, just ask my oldest sister
Old 04-14-2003, 09:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dehydrated Food

Dear Jenna,

Is this thru the internet? I would love to find some other resourses for dehydrated food.

I dry my own onions, green pepper, carrots, mushrooms, spices, apple and pear slices and they are great and easy to do. I would love to have a vacumn sealer ... but can't get one yet!

Right now I freeze extras and store those for daily use in dark cabinet. They do ok ... but vacumn sealing would really help.

I don't use sulfur I use crushed vitamin C tablets, fruit fresh (If it is on sale only!) and vinegar. Each this is used as needed per my dehydrated foods cookbook and it works well.

If anyone has some internet resourses I would love to have them.

Linda
Old 04-14-2003, 09:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dehydrated Foods

Hey Ladies,

I have an old book of "Master Mixes" if anyone is interested.

Also on my powdered milk bag there was the following recipe for a cassarole sauce. It works and it tastes good!

Cassarole Sauce

2 C Instant Nonfat dry milk
3/4 C Cornstarch
1/4 C reduced sodium chicken or beef bouillon
1/2 Tsp. dried crused thyme
1/2 Tsp. dried crushed basil
1/4 Tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients using a blender. Store in airtight container. Use as a replacement for canned cream soups in recipes. To substitute for 1 can of soup stir together 1/3 C. dry mix and 1 C H2O in saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened.

Yield: Equiva;emt tp 9 cans of soup

There is also a recipe for Hot Chocolate Mix. If anyone wants it let me know and I will type it out!

Linda
Old 04-14-2003, 09:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dehydrated Food

Ok ladies,

My typing skills really are stinky today! Sorry about that!

That soup replacement is equivalent to 9 cans of condensed soup!

Sorry!

Linda
Old 04-14-2003, 10:59 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I understood, thanks, I hate using soup from cans to make a healthful casserole, I think it is so unnecessary and not so healthy either
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!