Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Food > Recipe Exchange

Recipe Exchange Share your favorite recipes, or find some new ones!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:00 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Question ISO: Homemade Chili Recipe Using Dry Red Kidney Beans

I would like a recipe using dry kidney beans to make my chili from scratch. Every recipe I have tried searching uses prepared canned kidney beans.

Anna
Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've started using dried beans a lot more and just add more spices to the recipe as the dried beans seem to lack something that canned has. I know 1000 mg of salt!

As with rice I've been soaking and cooking up a whole package of beans then freezing in containers what I'm not using that day to have on hand.

Roberta

http://www.youravon.com/rdunaway

"When time shall come for my leaving, when I bid you adieu, don't spend your money for flowers, just a rose will do."
Old 08-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I think a one pound bag of beans would replace 2 cans of beans. That is just a guess, but Roberta is probably right about the spices too. I've considered doing this with a soup recipe, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:40 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks... I actually did find something on Hillbilly Housewife's site. I am trying to both save money, can them up for emergency winter use and of course convenience and eat healthier. Dh and I have been living extremely frugally the past 6 weeks or so and we've both been loosing weight, gotta like that side benefit LOL! I don't know how much I've lost because our digital scale is broke, dh is supposed to take it in to work to rewire it (on break time of course) but all my summer shorts are literally falling off my waist.

Anna
Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow, that's great....and I'm jealous!
Old 08-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

That is great news Anna the weight loss will have good side effect on your and David's other health issues as well.

The girls and I could eat soups two or three times a week but not DH he needs meat every meal. And it isn't meat if he doesn't need to cut it or bite and rip with his teeth LOL.

Roberta

http://www.youravon.com/rdunaway

"When time shall come for my leaving, when I bid you adieu, don't spend your money for flowers, just a rose will do."