Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Fun With Kids > Party Ideas > Parties for Girls

Old 07-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

2 Year Old Girl Butterfly Party

In August I'm hosting two butterfly parties for my dd's 2nd Birthday.

We're having a "small party" /lunch with 2 of her friends, then a family dinner with grandparents. Then, that weekend we're going to a local Butterfly Festival at a Botanical Garden.

We are doing it separate because there are no other children in the family (yet) and it seemed crazy to have a TON of adults watching a few girls have fun, and I didn't want a TON of kids at this age. So, thought a simple friend lunch would be good for her peers, but then having dinner so all the grandparents, great-grandparents, and aunts can gush.

For the friends, I found foam crafts and stickers to make Butterfly wings, purses, and necklaces for each of the girls (50 cents each). I want to fix a "teaparty" style of lunch... sandwiches, cheese and crackers, etc. Then, they can make their butterfly dress up things. Then they can play. I've found some recipes that incorporate butterflies at kraftfoods.com when I searched for butterflies. I also have butterfly cookie cutters and plan to make sandwiches for the girls and cut them out.

I have not determined the main dish for the adult/family party (all the grandparents and aunts - 14 total). It will be dinner, so I want something a little more filling than the girls' lunch, but I'd LOVE to incorporate butterflies as much as possible.

Also, I've seen several cakes... but none that I'm thrilled with yet. (I have taken Wilton's I and II classes, so I have some skill). Actually... I was thinking cupcakes so I could do one batch for both parties. Need the right idea.

I've found some ideas on the web, but I like to cruise a lot of ideas before deciding what to do.

Any ideas for food/decor/ etc. welcome.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Since I work at Walmart in the bakery I know we have a butterfly cupcake cake that is pretty-but you've probably found something similar if not the same online. I know at my store we have some butterfly picks that can be stuck in cupcakes, on cakes, sandwiches and the like-some are filmy and some are plastic, there may even be some butterfly rings that the girls would like. You could check if you have a Walmart near you-and see if they could spare a few for you; I know we've just give away those kind of decorations if it wasn't too many, although a Walmart might charge something for them too.
Don't know what you could serve for the adult dinner-maybe butterfly shaped pizza???
Let us know what you decide on..
Old 07-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Maybe you could make a few cupcakes for the kids party and then make a bigger cake for the adult party in the shape of a butterfly.
Then you could have a few streamers in different colors and add some butterflies cutout of construction paper to tack on over the crepe paper streamers.
Or if you are good at stamping. Make a potato stamp with a butterfly and use it. For treat bags take a couple of white or pastel colored bags and just add on some butterfly designs here too.
For a main decoration you could cut out two large shapes of a butterfly the same size and staple or tape the edges together after stuffing with newspaper or plastic bags to give it a three dimensional effect and either paint it or glue on tissue paper to give the effect of a pinata. Then hang it from the center of the streamers.

As for the Adult dinner I would either serve a family favorite meal or have a Salad buffet. Or have a Pot luck with your family bringing several dishes. You might even be able to find some paper cups and plates with Butterflies on them at the dollar store. Or purchase some white cups and stamp the outsides with the butterfly stamp or stickers.

Try going to

http://www.brightideas.com/index.jsp

they have alot of different ideas there.

So does http://crayola.com/

Hope this helps you some.
Vicky
Old 07-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I like your birthday party idea! In August, I am going to have a birthday party for my 4 year old DGD. Hers will be a fairy birthday party, which will include butterflies. I LOVE your tea party idea! I didn't even think of doing that. My DGD is always begging me to have a tea party! I will have to think of whether or not there is a way of incorporating that in my DGD's party.

Here is a picture of a cake that I think is just absolutely georgeous! It has fairies, butterflies, and flowers on it, but you could leave off the fairies. I will be glad to send you a larger picture so that you can see the detail if you want. If you do, please PM me.
Name:  th_fairy-cake-09.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  8.9 KB

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Love that cake, DeBora!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

This is the cake I've found so far:
http://www.boutiquetoocute.com/Butterfly%20Cake.jpg

I do think I'll do cupcakes for the girls, along with sliced ice cream (cut out as butterfly with butterfly cookie cutter).

Since they are making Butterfly wings, wands, purses, and necklaces to keep.. that is our "goodie bag." I didn't think I'd need more than that? Sound reasonable?

Still working on adult menu. It will include a watermelon basket (I make those for most parties), bowtie pasta dish.... and???? Still deciding.

Lots of great ideas all. Still planning! ;-)
Old 07-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

That is an adorable cake! It is so bright and colorful! I think your DD would just love it!!!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I love the butterfly idea!! I just love butterflies!

Maybe check out JoAnn Fabrics, Michaels, Hobby Lobby or Party City for butterfly ideas. Even if you don't buy theirs, you could get ideas to make your own if your are crafty. That's what I would do.

I personally have both a butterfly stamper & a hole puncher & I would use them to do something with/on the invitations. I would make a banner with my printer & Printmaster(Happy Birthday with butterflies all over).

We had gone to an outdoor butterfly exhibit at the Chicago Field Museum a couple of years ago. It was fun seeing all types of butterflies & walking among them.They even had butterfly chrysalis & caterpillars. Lots of fun & educational.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I love your butterfly cake!

How about baked ham for the adult dinner? You could even thinly slice it for rolls or biscuit sandwiches.

Love the fruit basket idea. They are always so pretty!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

2nd Birthday Party: BUTTERFLY THEME
"THE PLAN"

2 Parties: 1 for friends (inviting two little girls), 1 for family (grandparents, aunts, uncles)

Invitations:
Printed on butterfly stationary on computer.

Decorations:
Blue Wire Butterfly Candle Holders for Centerpieces
Make Balloon Flowers (marthastewart.com) and hang from fish line in the backyard
Hang giant fabric butterflies purchased at the Dollar Store.
Helium Butterfly Balloons
Bright Stripes Pastel Happy Birthday Butterfly dishes from Deals

Butterfly Dress Up Lunch (Friends)

Craft:
Foam crafts and stickers to make Butterfly wings, purses, wands, and necklaces for each of the girls (50 cents each at JoAnn’s). They can then wear them and play "dress up"

Menu:
Sandwiches cut out as butterflies w/cookie cutters
Keebler Butterfly Graham Crackers
Watermelon Basket (refill for dinner party)
Macaroni & Cheese using “bow tie” (looks like butterfly) pasta
Butterfly Jell-o Jigglers in two colors (SUGAR FREE)
Rainbow Sherbert… slice and cut out w/buttefly cookie cutters and add sprinkles
Butterfly Cupcakes
PINK Lemonade

Play:
Dress Up with Butterfly Costumes and Emily's Dress Up Princess Outfits (her bday present)
Watch "Hermie" Video
Dolls
"Hide and Seek" with Goodie Bags

Goodie Bags:
Butterfly Bubble Necklaces
Butterfly Notebook and crayons
Butterfly Slinkie
Butterfly Stickers
Butterfly Barretts (used to "seal" the bags... punched holes in top and snapped barrettes shut over it)

Butterfly Birthday Dinner (Family/ Adults plus Emily)

Menu:
Pepperidge Farm Butterfly Crackers and Cheese sliced as flowers
Butterfly graham crackers
Mini Corn Dogs,

Butterfly Sandwiches
Watermelon Basket
Macaroni & Cheese using “bow tie” (looks like butterfly) pasta
Salad
Jello-Jigglers (cut out like butterflies)
Chips and Dip
Dessert: Rainbow Sherbert… slice and cut out w/buttefly cookie cutters and add sprinkles
Two Tiered Butterfly Cake, ice it blue and decorate with sugar cookie flowers and butterflies

BUTTERFLY FESTIVAL Saturday

Breakfast:
Donuts with sprinkles

GO TO Butterfly Festival at Botanical Gardens