Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Getting Organized > Organizing

Organizing Needs hints and tips on organizing your house? Are you a clutterbug or do you pile things instead of filing things? Help out where you have succeeded or ask for help from this great group of friends!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:17 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

chip bags, snacks, etc

Hi Sherri!

I have a question about snack foods. I buy big bags of chips, we buy bagged cereal, and of course other snacks like pretzels and granola bars. I try to put them in plastic containers but they always manage to get disheaveled again.

Do you have any suggestions for clearing up the pantry and getting snack foods organized in a way that the kids can find what they want and keep it fairly neat?

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-18-2008, 04:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy face Cupboards for Kids

Hi Amanda,

When me moved into our current home, the main thing I did to try to keep my cupboards organized is to give the kids their own cupboard! :-)

It held their most reached for foods - mainly snacks and cereals and also plastic bowls and cups they could use.

It did not always stay neat, but I rarely went into it so it didn't bug me too bad!

Sherri
http://familycrafts.about.com
Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

That would be great, but we keep all of our food in our pantry, I have limited cabinet space. Do you have any suggestions for ways to organize all the open snacks? I definitely like the idea of keeping them at their level.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-19-2008, 11:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hmmm... I guess then what I would do is group the bags together in small, colorful baskets... They could be grouped by type, meal, or even child.

Another thought, perhaps a little funner, string some clotheslines across or even down a wall and use clothespins to clip the bags of food onto the clothesline. Heck, you could even use craft supplies and decorate the clothespins!
Old 06-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm lucky I'm blessed with lots of cupboard space in my kitchen and pantry.
I found that keeping to the same sized contiaenrs a good way to keep it organised.
Not to say that the kids don't make a mess but it's generally 1 shelf

Now if you have a great idea for getting them to close all 4 corners on a container to stop things getting stale, please share LOL

~ Family Corner Calendar ~
If your state or country has a noteworthy
date/holiday that you'd like up on the
calendar, PM me.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:15 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherriO
Hmmm... I guess then what I would do is group the bags together in small, colorful baskets...
This might work, especially if I were to make individual bags and put them in the baskets, then they wouldn't be able to grab the whole big bag and overeat.

Kathy, I totally know what you are saying about the four corners on the plastic containers LOL!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-23-2008, 04:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby
Now if you have a great idea for getting them to close all 4 corners on a container to stop things getting stale, please share LOL
That is why I said baskets instead of bins... Of course, that doesn't help if the item needs to be sealed to stay fresh. :-)