Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Holidays & Occasions > Occasions > Weddings, Showers, & Anniversaries > Occasions - Weddings

Old 02-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

ISO of WEDDING FAVOR AND CENTERPIECE IDEAS

Hi, My dd and hubby got married in a real small ceremony, and have decided this year to renew their vows and have the wedding they didnt have. We are trying to keep the cost down somewhat, and want to do the favors and table centerpieces ourselves (for about 100 people) does anyone have any ideas? I thought if we worked off the idea of the favor, as also a theme for the centerpiece, would be nice. This will be in the Fall (Oct) we were going to do small votive candles(in glass heart shped holders) as favors and then larger candle centerpieces, but would appreciate any other ideas. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Sandie,
I was just researching this online last night. My niece is getting married in Sept. so I've started looking for some things I might make for the wedding. I haven't found many free ideas yet-except for wedding showers but here is what I've found so far....
for Party favors and place-cards:
Crackers: fill a toilet-paper roll with a small plastic bag of mints, wrap with crepe paper cut 3" longer than the toilet-paper roll on each end, and tie both ends with ribbon. Glue on a name tag.
Mini-cowboy hats: for a western-theme party, print out names and attach them to tiny hats to use as place-cards.
Mug with flowers: purchase an inexpensive mug that suits the theme and place a silk flower inside. attach nametags, use as place cards.

That's all I've found so far, if I find anything else I'll share it with you.
Pam
Old 02-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks Pam, I have been looking around too, what we figured, was something easy my 2 gd's can help with, so far we are still thinking on the candle idea, and getting some of that netting fabric, and tying them with that and tiny flowers and a bow, I like the mug idea, with the name tags, will tell dd about that too, just trying to cut costs wherever we can lol. Hugs Sandie
Old 02-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had bars of soaps made for favors and they were not expensive. I was able to pick a design and flavour for the scent.

You can also do hersheys kisses in netting and use the colour of the dresses in ribbon to tie it.

You can use clear vases or clear dish put water and rocks and even floating candles in them.

You can even look at a small vase and a couple a flowers in each. Also tie ribbin the colour of the girls dresses.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

You could decoupage little bits of tissue paper onto empty baby food jars, then glue on mini flowers. Put in a tealight candle or a votive size cadle. These are so pretty when lit. If you dopn't want to use candles they can be filled with mints or other candies.
We made a few of these for Valentines Day.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks so much girls, Im writing all these down to pass on to dd, like the baby food jar idea Coll, and mommy of 3, love the scented soap too!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

When we renewed our vows last fall, we made the centerpieces. Dh cut lengths of 2 x 4s. Using a spade bit drilled out holes for tealights. We burned the lumber and sealed it. Dh then used a drill and drilled small holes for mini vases. We had the lumber so the cost was basicly nothing.

www.dragonzlair.biz
full of treasure galore
Old 02-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Connie I love that , it sounds awesome, Darryl is really good at woodworking too, its definately something "I" would like ,lol, but sometimes dd and I dont agree on the same things, gonna add it to my list for sure!!
Old 02-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

When our dd got married, we did everything as much as possible that we could! Just the very mention of the "W" word brought the pricey-ness out of every vendor we approached!

For the reception, we wanted a nice candlelight glow at each table. But, we also wanted some "heighth" to our centerpieces. Since we were having it at a hotel, we asked for those metal toppers that they put on dinners for room service (round, do you know what I mean?) and used them to build our centerpieces. Then, we went to a local home improvement store and bought square pieces of mirrors that were larger than the diameter of the metal toppers. We put the toppers in the center of the tables, covered them with fabric (enough that you could spread it out a little bit and then tuck it underneath the toppers) and then set the mirror on top of that. (All mirrors were turned just a little bit of a different angle, so as to create a bit of uniqueness.) In the middle of each mirror, we put pillars of candles of varying sizes on each table. So one table had a tall pillar, while the next had a medium one. And, we put votives spaced out all around the center candle as well as on the table below the centerpiece itself. (Perfect for your heart shaped votives!!) Also on the mirror we sprinkled rose petals~~the kind you get at craft stores. And, sprinkled them around the votives below the centerpiece. The ambience was incredible!!

For favors, we wrapped little bottles of bubbles in netting with a ribbon and a little "tag" that said "Thank you for sharing our special day with us! Love...."

I hope this helps!!

You miss 100% of the opportunities you don't take.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

*Is there anything your family is "known" for? Large veggie garden, flower beds, etc.? You could incorporate that. Such as if you had strawberry beds you could make everyone a babyfood jar of jelly with a tag tied onto it with raffia..."We're like PB & J - We belong together and the couples name". We have a maple orchard so we often give out small nip bottles of syrup at our dinner parties. Personalize the function by making it more about you all. If you have something and can't think of a way to tie it to the wedding let me know, I'm good with coming up with tie ins.
*Something the kids could do is counting Hershey hugs & Kisses to put into netting colored to match the theme color.

Is the theme victorian, country, medieval, traditional? Inside, Outside?

The floating candles is a great inexpensive way to ad elegance to your tables. You could also float some flower heads and glitter in the bowls with the candles.

Tule is a really inexpensive way to decorate and when the event is all done you can save it for future uses.

If I can help, let me know. I enjoy thinking crafty. I have no wedding to plan for with all my children small but I'm known for my dinner parties amongst adults and bday parties amongst kids.

Brenda