Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Making Cents

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

$100.00 a week challenge

Ok, who is up for this... I hope I am..
Next week, this is my plan.. to live a whole week on $100.00. I know there are a lot of people who do this, but for me, it will be a challenge.
I have to buy groceries, go out to eat, and pay for everything and anything out of that $100.00. I am in Northern NJ, it will be tight. My husband will be so happy. I tried it this week, and failed.
My hope is if I come to you for soppurt and ideas, I might do it this week.
So who wants to play... and who has some good ideas on how to do it?
Old 04-13-2002, 11:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

shocking

"I have to buy groceries, go out to eat, and pay for everything and anything out of that $100.00"

How about make a menu for the week, cook ahead, & have a few MEATLESS meals?

The most obvious is not going out to eat at all.

just my opinion.

Remember:
Wherever you go, there you are!
Old 04-14-2002, 04:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

saving money

There are a lot of websites out there with great ideas on how famlies can save money. Can't remember URL's, but search for Frugal Mom and penny pinchers. They also have links to free stuff and great coupons.
Figure out which meals are cheapest to make....like spaghetti. Buy store-brand items. Some things, I know, you can only buy the best brand, but there are a lot of items that are just as good in store brands.
For entertainment-libraries usually have large selections of kids and adult movies to rent for free!
Just a few ideas
Old 04-14-2002, 07:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

MY FAMILY OF FOUR EAT WELL AND HEALTHY ON 50.00 A WEEK.THAT IS JUST GROCERIES AND HOUSEHOLD GOODS.WE DO NOT GO OUT TO EAT UNLESS IT IS A SPECIAL DAY.WE ARE TRYING TO PAY OFF OUR BILLS.(CREDIT CARDS,CARS,AND OTHERS)WE USE A LOT OF COUPONS AND STORE SPECIALS.AND THE BEST PLACE TO BUY FRESH VEGETABLES IS AT A FARMERS MARKET,IF THERE IS ONE NEAR YOU.WE HAVE ONE THAT IS OPEN ALL YEAR LONG.AND I HAVE A GROCERY LIST AND THAT WEEKS MENU PLANNED AND DO NOT IMPULSE BUY.IT TOOK SOME GETTING USED TO.AND WE ARE ALMOST DONE PAYING OFF OUR BILLS.GOOD LUCK.

P.S.
MOST STORE BRAND ARE AS GOOD AS THE NAME BRAND.LOOK AT THE LABELS.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Young Lady...
You can do a whole lot with 100 dollars if you don't go out to eat....what's wrong with home cooked meals? Make it a special occasion treat....birthdays, anniversary, a special event.
If you MUST go out....look for 2 for 1 specials in the paper...or go out for breakfast once a month. There is no reason why you can't live well and have great meals and pay bills on 100 a week.... we do it on less than that...*s*
Old 04-14-2002, 12:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The $100 dollar challenge. This is no challenge to me......Oh, I know, but when you live frugally it really is easy. Several people have already mention that eating at home is the best way to save$$$$! Making a menu for the week and grocery shopping list is the key. Watch the sales, coupons and other promotions. Take advantage of a bigger cut of meat and split it up into different dinners.

A big way to save on your food budget, grow a garden and learn to freeze and can. Yes, as a "born and raised city girl", I've learned and love it.

On average, I spend anywhere from $60 - $70 dollars a week for my family of four. We have one day, where we eat out or order a pizza. If we don't spend the money, we put it in our vaction fund. We have saved over $400 since our last vacation. I save any way I can.

Once you set your goal and stick with it, you can do it.

Good Luck!

I forgot to mention that my kids are out of diapers, which makes living on $100 a whole lot easier!

Last edited by Bernice; 04-15-2002 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2002, 09:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

This would be a great thing for me, if I could do it. I have a family of 5, and I typically spend $200 every 2 weeks on groceries. It's not hard for me to find bargains, I almost always buy the store brand. My thing is....I have 2 kids in diapers and 1 in Pullups. I have tried the cheap diapers, and they are just that...CHEAP! I end up buying another pack before the 2 weeks is up, because I have to change my kids more often. I always buy the brand that is on sale, but I mostly buy Luv's. We also have 2 dogs and a guinea pig, that we have to buy food for as well. I usually spend $50 every 2 weeks on diapers, pullups and dog food.

As far as the $100 a week challenge....I would be greatful if I could do that, and I think I might try it. My husband get's payed on Friday, so I'll have to wait til then....we only have about $15 in our checking account right now, so I guess I'm doing a $15 a week challenge! LOL!

I'll let you know how I do!!
Kim
Old 04-15-2002, 02:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

LOL... there is no way I could do this....

I spend that in 2-3 days alone....

Come to Jersey and show me how

I wish I could do this..
Old 04-15-2002, 07:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi again Young Ladies....

I have one question for you gals with infants in diapers....Have you never heard of cloth diapers.....and training pants....?? You wash them and use again! They are recyclable!!!! what you pay for diapers in 2 weeks will get you wonderful cloth ones....and guess what......you don't have to wash them by hand..the machine does them....and the dryer dries them.....Try it!!! YOU'LL SAVE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY!! *S*
Old 04-15-2002, 10:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky $100 challenge

Hi, I feed my family of 4 on less than $100
a week. I make out a menu and shopping list at the end of each month (for the next month) and we
shop at Aldi and/or Sam's. I shop the farmer's market (when they open in the spring/summer) for fresh fruits & veggies (that I don't grow myself), shop for meat the supermarket (for things I can't find at Sam's or Aldi) and pick up milk at a local store (1.59/gal compared to the supermarket's 3.69). We "fast food it" once or twice a month (usually paydays) and splurge on a really good steak twice a month.

I have a list of 50 or so main dishes I rotate every couple of months and always have extra hot dogs in the freezer in case we just don't feel like home cooking.

I also prep a lot of things on the weekends (browning ground beef for chili, cutting veggies for stew, things like that) so my weekday prep is easier.

good luck!