Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Kids & Money

Kids & Money Allowance. Chores. Savings accounts. Piggy banks. How do you teach your kids about money? What has worked for you?

Old 09-23-2002, 02:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

teen stiffed by church

My teens babysit at a church program for pay. A staff member of the church called and asked one of them to babysit for a new program for the same pay. After he was finished, they refused to pay him because the church has a policy of not paying people under 18 because minors can't make legal contracts! My husband called the woman who hired him, and she was sorry, but she only found out about the policy that morning in staff meeting. 6 HOURS before my son arrived to be cheated! What would you do?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have issues with this on several levels.

And although the neighborly thing to do would be to turn the other cheek, but if my teen was really upset about not receiveing payment for their work rendered, and s/he had it in writing the deal for services, I would be seeking legal council.
My reasoning is that this person had more than enough time to call my teen and say that they are not able to pay for the service need because as a staff member of the church whose policy states no financial funds can pass between church and minors, they would need to either make other arrangements, or a compromise in the deal. WHich this person did not do, and thus leads me to believe she had every intention of decieving my teen or any other teen who accepted the job offer.

Furthermore, I am assuming that since my other teens have received payments for church work in the past, that they / I have documentation of their received funds and / or policy documentation from the church regarding their stand on their programs?. I would include these papers when taling to the legal group regarding this matter.
If they still say technically no leg to stand on because it was all a VERBAL contract.

I would pay my teen for the work s/he did for the other person, and then talk with the church again, this time regarding the staff member cheated the teen from an honest job they did, ask them for their assistance with this matter. If the church refuses to act further on this matter, I would take my case to the media and ask for their assistance in getting the issue rectified - even if that meant using a social media site to announce that Parents beware of this person (Name, city, and church) who hires Teens, but refuses payment after services rendered. And then in detail expalin what happened to my teen (no names required), and how much time the person had to rectify the issue, but didn't.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 11-04-2015, 06:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

i have worked in a situation where it was my responsibility to obtain workers for events at church. In Alabama, If the worker is a teen they can get a work permit from their school. This was a couple of years ago, and it may have changed. I would check into that. If and when a work permit is acquired, the church should honor the pay agreement. Someone at the church should even pay your child out of their own pocket if the church is not able to do this. Hope this helps.