Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Leisure Time > Idle Chit Chat!

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 04-28-2004, 08:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

College

If you went to college, where did you go?
Why did you choose that school?
Did you live in a dorm, off campus or at home?
What was your major? Any favorite college memories?

I attended Bakersfield College and have an AA in Child Development. One of my biggest regrets is that I did not go onto a four year college and get my bachelors degree. I lived at home while going to "BC" and worked downtown at the Woolworth's soda fountain in the afternoons after morning classes. So, I missed out on the whole "living in a dorm experience" and being on my own.........I would have liked to experience that, and just the whole college experience in general. This is all in retrospect though because, ironically, I hated high school! I never did very well because we moved 4 times and I attended 4 different high schools..one for each year!! So, my grades would not have been good enough to get into a four year college at that time even if I would have wanted to! The prerequisites for attending a 2 year college was to be a HS graduate...and that I was! I always wondered HOW I graduated as I was always behind everyone else. I know now I was just passed through, the teachers unaware that I wasn't catching on. I did learn to write though......even if I am guilty of terrible long runon sentences!!!!!

I cry at the sound of the song...don't know the name..played at graduations...da, da da da da da da da da da da da da....

hugs,train
Old 05-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Maybe I need to change this question to: "If you did not go to college to you regret it as much as I do?"

hugs, Trainlady
Old 05-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My biggest regret is that I didn't go to college. Not only for the education but for the experience as well. I'm torn about saying that because had I gone to college I wouldn't have met my hubby and wouldn't have the children that I have so it all worked out, but I would love to have experienced "college life"

Keep your words soft and tender as you may have to eat them tomorrow!
Old 05-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I got married at age 19, with no intention of going to college. I just wanted to be a wife and mom.

A few years later, I decided I was ready for college, and went back at age 35. It took me 6 years to get my BS in Business Admininstration from the University of Wisconsin - Platteville. I took a lot of distance-learning classes.

I never could have done it without the encouragement and support from my husband and high-school aged sons. I graduated in 2001, but didn't attend the ceremony because it was just a few days before my 3rd DS was born.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I say that you don't have to live with regret! I went back to college at age 39. I got my AA in Criminal Justice and my BA in psychology with a minor in forensics. I am now in graduate school working on my Masters in Clinical Psychology. I am glad I waited to go back to college as I don't think I would have done as well if I had gone to college as a young girl. Oh yeah, I got my AA at New Mexico State University at Carlsbad. I got a transfer scholarship to attend main campus as NMSU in Las Cruces. I am now attending the Univeristy of Texas of the Permian Basin.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I went to UCLA straight out of high school. My older sister went there, my boyfriend (now my dh!) went there, so it was natural that I should go there, too. I lived in the dorm my first year and had a wonderful time. It certainly was a great way to meet people from all different backgrounds. Today, our dd, our new ddil, and our ds all go to UCLA (no, they don't give family discounts on tuition!).

My only regret was that I didn't get my Masters. I started a program at UC Santa Barbara just when my ds was born. My dh was a grad student at the time, and we envisioned having a cherubic baby that would sleep politely during class (and and night so we could study!). Our baby was certainly cherubic, but he was not a sleeper. He was colicky and needed 2 ear tube operations before he was 1 year old. Needless to say, I dropped out of grad school within 2 weeks. There is nothing stopping me from going back to school today, but I think that I just lost interest. Maybe that will change in the future.

My dmil went back to school for her PhD when she was 60 years old. We were sooooo proud of her!!
Old 01-19-2008, 04:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Well, I did it! I went back to school when all of my kids started school and I graduated last month (Dec. '07) with an Associates Degree in Nursing. I am preparing to take my boards at the end of this month.
Although there are times I still wish I had been able to experience going away to school when I was young, I can honestly say I have no regrets... I have a great family, I've set an awesome example for my kids, and I am about to realize my dream of becoming a nurse! Life is good!

Keep your words soft and tender as you may have to eat them tomorrow!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I passed down a biggy. I graduated in 79. My mother worked at Centenary College. At the time, it was totally for girls. I passed up a totally free education. I went. Toured the school (back in that day they even had a "bar" on campus..........needless to say.....I was with an idiot at the time.......Passed up such an opportunity. I remember walking through the hallways and seeing that Debbie Harrington (sp?) from Blondie graduated from there, but yet.....I didn't go. I did go to night college a bit.......Guess I'm rambling.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 01-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh my! College.. well...

I graduated HS in 75 with a Regents Scholorship ( full tuition in any NYS college or University for 4 years) It was an amazing poprtunity. I began at a local 4 year college because that's where my boyfriend went. When I began my second year ( transferring from nursing to health administration) my Mom decided to go to college with me. I was thrilled. she was 52, and I was the youngest child, so it was a great fit. We'd commute together, but had no classes together.

Tragically, my mom died of a massive heart attack at school. I remember the sound of the ambulances.. never realizing it was her..

Anyway, I finished up that semester with help from my professors, and independent final exams. I never began my Junior year.. I simply couldn't face that campus.

I transferred to Hunter College in Manhattan, but I was so depressed...I hated the subway ride and dropped out in the first semester.

I transferred to Stony Brook University. It was about a 2 1/2 hr drive home. Dorm life was fine at first, ( the bar was in my quad) ..but I found the enormous campus intimidating. Then the anniversary of my mom's death came, and I couldn't deal with that. I had the only true panic attack of my life that night.. It was awful. I stuck it out till Thanksgiving break, and never went back.

I tried going back again when I got married, in 1985, but I just couldn't be in a traditional classroom.. I was miserable.

I did take 12 credits of Culinary courses r my Community College in 1992, which were a lot of fun, but the work was too heavy, as I had already had one back surgery.

So now I'm trying something else.. There is an independent study university in my area. It's part of the State University system, and I can get 95 transfer credits.( they give you life-experience credits too) The new semester starts in March. I'll work toward my interdisciplinary BS in Educational Sciences and Health Sciences with the minor in Early Cildhood Teacher Certification.

The grand scheme is to eventually get a Masters in Public Health Education with a Secondary Education teaching certification.

I can start teaching with my BS and teacher certification, but need an MS to qualify as a "Highly Qualified Teacher" in the HS or local community college.

You never have to take a class in a traditional classroom if you don't want to. You work with a mentor, and can take distance learning courses. Of course for the teacher certification, there are some classes I will have to take at the local college, but at least it won't be many.

Anyway.. that's my college saga. I have been in and out of school for 32 years and I am still essentially a Sophomore!

Wish me luck!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Lifestar -- You have quite a college story. I wish you all the best on your new education goals. I'm sure that it will all go very well and I bet that your mother would be very proud of you!!