Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Food > Around the Kitchen Table > Cooking questions > How To...

How To... There are plenty of mysteries in cooking! See if you know the answers to some...

Old 10-19-2002, 09:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

cooking a turkey breast in a pressure cooker

Hello! I was just given an electric pressure cooker. Can you please tell me how long I would cook a 6.04 pound turkey breast (it has the bone). And how much liquid would I add? Do I brown it? If yes, would I brown it first in another pan? The cooker is a 6 quart and the breast just fits in the pot. I would appreciate any help you might be able to provide. And any other suggestions that I may not have thought to ask. Thank you kindly.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Reply re:cooking turkey breast in pressure cooker -
My recipes for cooking chicken or turkey say to first brown the meat on all sides (seals in juices) in the pressure cooker in about 3 Tbsp melted shortening. If the cooker has a rack or tray to lift the meat off the bottom of the cooker, I'd use it. (Mine is a tray with holes that lifts the meat about 1/4 inch above the base of the kettle - avoids burning on bottom.) Then add salt, pepper, sliced onion if you wish, or a bit of poultry seasoning or any other seasonings of your choice. Add 1 cup water. Close cover securely and cook for 45 minutes with pressure regulator gently rocking. Remove from heat and let pressure drop of its own accord. I'd probably try to make it a 1 pot meal by adding scrubbed small potatoes and carrots around the turkey breast prior to cooking. The juices from the turkey should make great gravy or a soup base. Good luck and let us know what worked for you and was it tender?
Jan

Last edited by jmohler; 10-26-2002 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here's a wonderful site to help you with your pressure cooker...

http://missvickie.com/

and...the site also has a newsletter....

and here's another site....

http://homecooking.about.com/library.../bl051997a.htm

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 10-29-2002, 08:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

yOU REALLY HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WITH PRESSURE COOKERS SO THAT YOU DO NOT OVER FILL THEM. THERE IS A LINE (SHORT MARk) ON THE INSIDE --THAT IS USUALLY ALLTHE HIGHER YOU CAN PUT SOMETHING IN. AND OF COURSE, YOU HAVE TO ADD SOME LIQUID FOR STEAM. gET A COPY OF INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE MFG. OF YOUR COOKER.