Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Home Decorating & Repair

Home Decorating & Repair Got any ideas for pretty window treatments? How about ways to fix that squueky hinge?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

how to keep the basement smelling fresh

I think I have tried everything. Of course I want to be frugal. I did use a lime cystals but they are not frugal. My basement windows do not open and the cat litter box is in the basement. Any ideas?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:00 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

bump
Old 04-04-2008, 06:00 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Connie

We had a similiar problem a few years ago when my mil passed away... she used moth balls everywhere and the house literally reeked of moth balls. Now while the following method isn't always accessible to folks who aren't in the candle making business, you can substitute bottles of potpourri oil in place of it.

I bought cheap bags of potpouri mix, mixed with one of my fragrance oils peppermint and set it in each room of the house in wicker baskets, the kind you would use for easter.. can be bought cheaply at yard sales or thrift stores. It completely took away the smell of the moth balls after about 24 hours. This same method could be used in different parts of the basement.

Anna
Old 04-04-2008, 06:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Did you check with someone who does work on basements in your area? White vinegar is one option. Open containers, such as a small bucket might work. Boxes of baking soda, which a lot of times you can get 3/$1.00 and activated charcoal is good. I wouldn't want potpourri all over, the smell starts to irritate my nose and it can get overwhelming. Have you checked into some of the new cat litter box items. Maybe there is one that over time the investment would pay off. I know that there are those with lids, almost like a house. I wonder if that would keep the odor down. Unfortunately, cat urine smell is hard to get rid of, even years down the road. Our previous owners had cats, and when it gets damp in the basement, every once and awhile you can smell it. Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

Lizajane
Old 04-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think we need to replace a piece of carpeting. I am on the look for some.

I did buy some potpurri and I have some potpurri replenser oil. I will try that.

The basement need more work. We aren't putting more work and money into this house.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Seems like damp concrete can make smells worse. Before the carpet is replaced, disinfect and then seal the floor with concrete sealer.

Run a dehumidifier too.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 04-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hello, We have two cats and their box is in the basement as well and for a while there we also were having the "smell" problem even though my hubby cleans it out everyday which really helps but didn't totally take away the smell. We invested in "Tidy Cats" which is more expensive HOWEVER use of this product is a lot less than the less expensive brands and it is the best but I also use a Glad Plugin right near their box and it keeps the odor at bay. I mean really to the point you cannot tell we have two cats. The plugin scent lasts about 5 wks. so I feel that it and the better cat litter is best for it's money. Hope this helps.
Elaine
Old 03-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thumbs down

I have a problem with the smell also but, mine is dogs.I've used bleach, white vinegar, Urine Kleen, Simple green and I still can't get the smell out. Nex is what we had to do with a car we bought. Fresh coffee grounds with apple slices put around in different places. It did remove cigerette smells so I hope it works with dog smell.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

In the litter boxes I always sprinkle a nice handful of baking soda in the bottom and then put in my cat litter. I actually use Oil-dry for cat litter; it is the same clay as cat litter without any other additives. I pay $4.99 for a 50 pound bag. Our litter boxes are in my laundry room next to the bathroom and we are on one floor; no smell!

White vinegar like someone mentioned will work great. Just set it around in open jars or something and it will absorb odors!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life