Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Healthy Living > Your Health > Your Health > Health - Alternative & Natural Approaches

Old 04-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

Tonic water for charley horses

One of my SIL's doctor told her to do this and it really works. Tonic water contains quinine which helps to relieve leg cramps. If you drink it before you go to bed it helps to prevent the cramps during the night.

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 04-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Funny you should mention this now. My husband had been having leg cramps for the last week. We up his magnesium and potassium. Then I read about drinking tonic water because of the quinine. Quinine in large doses is approved over the counter but tonic water contains just enough of it to seem to help.

It ended up that my husbands sneakers cause his knee to turn and thus start the cramping. One of the air pockets in the heel had blown and he was walking weird and overcompensating because of it. We bought him a new pair of shoes and all seems ok so far.

I always have extra potassium on hand for leg cramps and now that I've read about tonic water, I'm going to keep a couple of bottles here, too. I get leg cramps right above my ankles that hurt so bad. I hope that this will help.

Thanks for posting this!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

I keep a bottle in the refrigerator so we have a "nice cold drink" ready when we need it. I have no idea why I get them, and DH gets them all the time,but he has ever since the accident he was in that caused all the damage to his legs. He takes so many pills already due to all that happened then that he was happy to find some relief in a way other than more pills. Glad it helps you all also!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life