Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Food > Planning Ahead > Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 09-05-2002, 08:57 AM
NatureNut

Exclamation Canning spaghetti sauce

Last year I canned spaghetti sauce using my own recipe. I added grated parmesan cheese to the ingredients. Instead of canning it in a "hot water bath", I used the method my mother used to use: "hot packing", which is simmering the sauce for hours, then pouring into hot jars, sealing with hot lids. I never had any problems using this method in the past till now. After the jars of sauce sat on the shelf for a few days, the lids became unsealed and the sauce "worked" its way out over the top and down over the jars! Did this happen because I included grated parmesan cheese to the ingredients? Is using a "live culture" ingredient not recommended for canning? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

YIKES

I cant help you but I will be interested in the responces, I use that method too!

Amanda
Old 09-14-2002, 09:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I used to can but haven't in a few years. It sounds as though the jars may not have properly sealed in the first place. It happened to me several times. Be sure to dry off the rims of the jars prior to placing the seals on them. Sometimes just a drop of water can make them not seal. I don't know about the parmesan cheese. I make regular sauce in a crock pot and add it but never have when canning. I would add it to the sauce when taking it out of the jar to use it then add the parmesan. Sometimes the seals on the lids don't work properly or may have a slight defect also.
Old 09-14-2002, 11:51 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

canning spaghetti sauce

Lila,
Sorry to hear about your experience. I've only been canning a few years, but here's my take on the problem.

The FDA strongly urges people to use a either a water bath canner or a pressure canner when canning. They strongly dicourage "hot pack canning" anymore. I know my mom use to use the hot pack method too and she always had problems with jars not sealing or the lids working loose.

I have a feeling it was the cheese that caused your sauce to "grow." I wouldn't add it until your ready to use the sauce.
Sometimes, just tweaking the recipe a little can cause big problems.

Also, I've talked to other people who can and they won't use any domes but Ball. They feel the others aren't even close to the quality of Ball.

Just my two cents....
Old 09-14-2002, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi! Whenever I canned spaghetti sauce I use the water bath method, I always heat my lids so the seal is soft, and my jars are hot. So you have hot sauce, hot jars, hot lids and then I place it in warm water to start the waterbath. I make sure the rims of the canning jars are wiped,before I put in the hot sauce. I waterbath them for the recommended time...lift them out of the water and if they are wide mouth jars...I turn them upside down. When they are cool to touch I turn them back over and test the lids with my fingers...if it does NOT move or click it is sealed.

Make sure you are using canning jars...I have run into sometimes a bad batch of lids.

janet
Old 09-14-2002, 02:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
Canning Spaghetti Sauce

It is not recommended to can cheese. AND all products need a water bath or pressure canning. Tomatos usually need to have some acidity added to keep properly. You can get tons of very good information and advice at the CreativeCanning forum. I rarely ever can sauces, but a lot of these good folks do and they are more than willing to help you out.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:41 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

any protein would increase your PH making the sauce to alkaline to can this way. I know a lot of us have canned this way for years w/ tomatoes but the new guidelines require a waterbath. If you add pproetein then you buy yourself some pressure canning.
So frustrating after all your work. Good luck.
Ruth
Old 09-16-2002, 01:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

home canning

You must not use the hot pack method of canning without finishing up with either the correct method of pressure canning or hot water bath. Many Extension sites have excellent info to help you. Two you might want to try are <msucares.com> which is Mississippi State Univ. Extension or http://www.cce.cornell.edu/programs/food/ed_resources/factsheets.html which is Cornell Univ. The University of Georgia also has excellent info. All of this is researched based and safe for family use. The danger of foodborne illness is extremely high in foods improperly canned--not just spoilage and loss of food.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:39 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Canning

Sorry to hear about your canning dilema's. I too use the hot pack canning method to can my sauce. I have used it for several years and have never had a problem. Knock on wood!! I was given this 'secret' reciept several years ago by one of my parents neighbors before he passed. The hot pack method is what he always used and this is indicated in the reciept.

The only thing that I could suggest has already been stated. Make sure that your jars, lids and sauce is ' HOT' before canning. Wiping the rims is very important too. When I use the hot pack method, I always turn my jars upside down for the night. I've never had a problem with jars not sealing.

Good luck to you in future canning projects. I would also suggest that you make a smaller batch when you alter your reciepts to see if there will be any problems. Oh, I also make my jelly the same way and never had a problem with that either. Knock on wood again! Don't want to jinx myself
Old 05-24-2003, 08:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Canning Spaghetti Sauce

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. Could someone please send me some recipes for making fresh spaghetti sauce.

I am growing my own tomatoes and would love to have a way to preserve them other than drying them.

Thanks in advance!

Linda