Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Food > Planning Ahead > Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-17-2002, 08:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dehydrator

I have a dehydrator that I have only used to dry apples for a wreath, and some orange slices for one also. I have also dried pears but we ate them as soon as we thought they were ready. I would like to know if anyone out there is knowledgeable about them. What about doing veggies? How do you store them? How long do they keep? And how do you know when they are ready? Help!!!!!
Old 08-26-2002, 06:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

I too have a dehydrator but have no instructions. I would love to hear of any instructions at all. Fruit, sliced, leathers, veggies, anything. If anyone out there has a clue for me, it would surely be appreciated. BTW this dehydrator is electric. I don't know if this makes a difference in the time it takes to dry the food or not. HELP!!! I'm good in the kitchen but this new toy has me perplexed!
Old 08-26-2002, 09:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

fruit leather

Gwen, Hi! Right after I made this first request I found something in my email you might like. I get a weekly newsletter from a Dr. Irene. In this issue she talked about fruit leather and it was great. It discusses that you need to kill the bacteria in the fruit before dehydrating. This was one of my concerns. How to keep things. I have not checked out the actual website yet. I broke my let a couple of months ago and have had my 2 grandbabies. ages 3 months and 17 months. Plus my own 4 yr old. Haven't had time for anything. The address is http://www.ugs.edu/nchfp/how/dry/csu leathers jerkies.pdf If this doesn't help you out I can go back to Dr. Irene's letter and she had someone actually try it and there is a recipe for peach leather. I do know they added extra sugar, because the kid's did not care for it without adding some. Good Luck, Lori
Old 08-26-2002, 09:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

May I borrow your name? ;-(

Just kidding but I have tried to use your link and it comes up bad Gateway.
I do appreciate your help with this, especially since I am butting in on your post. I will keep trying but if you can give me another link, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks so much!

(just shows you who really is clueless here. You don't give yourself enough credit! ;-)
Old 08-29-2002, 04:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Veggies are great dehydrated!

How about dried tomatoes! Dip in boiling water then cold water to remove the skins, slice about 3/8" thick and dry until leathery. I store mine in sterilized mayo jars and put a lid on tight (but don't seal them like canning) and keep in a dark dry place (in my cupboard) and they last until next year.

Green Beans: Blanch and dry. Store like I do tomatoes. To use, soak in cold water for an hour before using and they won't be tough. These are perfect in soups and stews.

Potatoes: Peel, slice about 1/4" thick, blanch in boiling water about 5 min until translucent, put in ice water, then dehydrate. Turns out just like the box mixes only better! To use, take about 3 cups potato slices and 1-1/2 c water and simmer 30 minutes. Add a cheese sauce and it's a great side dish.

My kids favorites: Banana slices (just slice and dry) and watermelon! Slice about 1/2" thick, take out seeds and rind. Dry until leathery. (this tastes just like watermelon candy - I don't really know how long it would last!)
Old 08-29-2002, 04:51 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just thought of another thing I do: Banana Bread mix using dehydrated bananas.

In a quart jar, layer in your favorite banana bread recipe's dry ingredients plus bananas. 1 cup of banana chips is about the same as 2-3 ripe bananas. When you make the bread, increase the water by about 1/4 cup.

At first I thought you might have to soak the bananas before baking, but I was in a hurry once and just tossed it all in a bowl, mixed, and baked, and it turned out great!

Here's what I use:
Banana Bread Mix
Layer in a quart jar:
1 cup flour
1/3-1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup flour
1 cup dehydrated banana chips
1 cup sugar

Mix with 1/3 cup butter or margarine, 2 eggs, 2/3 cup water.
Mix well. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350
deg. for 55-60 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Let
set 5 minutes, and remove from pan. Cool completely before
slicing
Old 08-29-2002, 05:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow!!! Thanks a million for the ideas.
I will try the tomatoes today. I have a basket of them in the kitchen and I've about run out of ideas with them..... sauce, chili sauce, stewed. This will be a treat!
As for the Banana Bread Recipe. You read my mind! I am giving 'jars' of recipes for Christmas and will use this one for sure!!!
Thanks a heap!!!
Old 09-26-2002, 06:18 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Lightbulb food dehyrator booklet

If you would like to send me your mailing address or fax number I have a owners manual for a food dehydrator at home that I could copy for you. Ball Canning Book also has recipes for food dehydrating. [email protected]

Anna

Supporting American Workers

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 11-22-2002 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

wow!

Thanks so much for the generous offer.
I meet the nicest people here.
Your kindness is really appreciated. It will end a long long search.

Gwen
Old 11-22-2002, 06:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

beef jerky

Try this: slice meat any kind thin
mixture consisting of 1 cup soy sauce & 1 tsp. brown sugar (optional add 1 tsp. liquid smoke)
Soak meat for 5 mins. Thats it dry away. I'm making deer jerky today. Enjoy. I do soups by dipping sliced vegies in a little lemon juice first before drying. Then throw in dried pasta or rice and a chicken or beef flavoured cube. Just add water and cook. They have dried fruit that was sliced and dipped in lemon juice before drying for desserts. My kids are a hit on camping trips. When I was Akela for our local Cub Pack I got all the kids interested in cooking this way. They loved it.[email protected]