FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (http://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Elementary School (http://www.familycorner.com/forums/elementary-school/)
-   -   How do you feel about kids in Elementary school selling gift wraps, magazines...etc? (http://www.familycorner.com/forums/elementary-school/21430-how-do-you-feel-about-kids-elementary-school-selling-gift-wraps-magazines-etc.html)

Pag36 09-21-2007 06:33 PM

I agree with all of you. Gina will not do it or let Steven go out and try to get neighbors to buy the paper etc way tooooo expensive. As some one said it is rough on the kids and what cheapy prizes they get IF they are able to sell enough. Hope Steven does not come home with it again this year.

sosoftail 09-21-2007 06:42 PM

Ditto

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!

These kids are often disappointed if their parents can't buy a lot of that stuff or sell it for them. I think it is like employing cheap child labor to make money for the schools. It is just wrong.

I did not have to do this when I went to school.

My daughter was in GS and we sold the cookies. Since the stores already had groups selling we had to buy them ourselves or sell them at work. We tried going door to door and were doing quite well until one door turned into a nightmare.

My daughter knocked. I sat in the van right in front of that apartment door watching in case of a problem. Then I saw my daughter run screaming. She hid under a stairway. I got out and started for her to find out what happened when I saw a very angry man coming toward me. He was cursing and looked quite frightening. I got in my van and shut the door but my window was down. He reached in and started hitting me, choking me and spitting on me. For some reason he said he was going back inside to call the law on me! When he walked off I ran for my daughter and got her inside my van. We left really fast and I had no cell phone so I called police from a payphone.

Well it turned out he actually pulled a putty knife of all weapons on the cops that came out. They locked him up. He claimed that he was from Columbia and had been living in Germany where things were bad. His story. He claimed her uniform set him off. He even came to court with one of those "Buck a Cup" buttons on his lapel that the cops sell. He represented himself. He got away with just a $500 fine for assault since he had no weapon he used on me, time served and probation. I don't know why the cops did not charge him for pulling the putty knife. They seemed to think it was funny and he had a screw loose.

The woman cop that calmed down my daughter got all her buddy cops to buy the cookies and she won top seller that year but at what cost? She is afraid now of strangers because she does not know when someone will also have a screw loose and snap.

Kids cannot go door to door alone so parents must go with them but even with parents present anything can happen.

I think the schools that want to raise money this way should set up a website and advertise on that or send out flyers about a sale at school on a parents night or something. Stop awarding prizes for the most sales and give some of the proceeds from sales to all kids and classes in the form of books or something educational. They should not have individual kids sell stuff. It is too dangerous now and too many kids get disappointed and worry about not selling enough. Their young lives will all too soon have enough to worry about without adding to it at such a young age. Leave the awards and prizes to parents when they have birthdays or Christmas.

Some think it teaches them to interact with people and teaches responsibility but I think it is still just about the schools making a buck.

This stuff comes up even on the first day of school. They drag in all sorts of stuff about selling stuff for prizes and then again and again all during the school year. It never ends and people at work hate being bothered with this stuff they don't even want so some workplaces do not even allow it. Not fair to the few that find their parents work where they can sell and other kids cannot sell because of it. Maybe enough parents have not kicked up a fuss about this stuff yet so schools keep doing it.

We used to have bake sales and fair like stuff in the gym with even a cake walk. My mom always baked a cake to give to them. The school made money that way for extra stuff to use in the school. They can make money without using the kids.

Oh.....Did I say I hate the selling stuff from school?...Duh! CC:soapbox::fireworks:fireworks:pumpkinsg:ugh2:

SanDansMom 09-21-2007 07:41 PM

It makes me really angry to be hit up by friends for the stuff their kids are selling. It's always shoddy and expensive or not enough of whatever it is, and expensive. I'd rather just donate directly to the school. I don't understand why this is even legal.

Lifestar 09-22-2007 10:49 AM

sosoftail... what a horryfing story!! It's a scary place.. I hope your daughter will be OK and not suffer any long term damage ( remember there is always civil court)

I don't buy from the fundraiser catalogues either.. but I always make a small donation ( $5 or so ) to my kids' school.

I don't know how PTO's work, but in PTA, the school only keeps about 1/3 of the membership dues.. the rest go to the National and State PTA ( why.. I have yet to figure out)...

But as per the National PTA guidelines, for every fundraiser a PTA holds, they are required to provide 3 enrichment programs for the kids with the proceeds of that fundraiser. ( assemblies, family fun nights, graduation gifts, or gifts to the school, etc. ). So in theory I support PTA fundraising.. just not selling all the tacky, overpriced crap that nobody needs or wants, and making the kids compete for crappy prizes. Besides, schools typically keep only between 30-60% of the sales anyway.

If everyone donated a couple of dollars to the PTA at their kids school.. they wouldn't have to sell the stuff you don't need or want in the first place ...

cau 09-22-2007 06:02 PM

We have the nmagizines sales going on right now. I hate them, I feel like I have to buy something whe I don't want anything

thsgrbr 09-24-2007 05:12 AM

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one out there that hates these things! I'm on the PTA and I don't understand why we do the! The money we get does go back to the school but it also is part of the budget for the PTA. I like what the NY PTA does that would be great to give back to the kids. But the school does benifit from it in the long run.:gaah: I do wish they would let us just give money and not have kids that get upset when you don't sell anything! Also at are school we are not allow to do bake sales anymore do to the fact some people are sue happy! Maybe we can stop the crazy fundraiser!

Mish 09-24-2007 08:48 AM

I am with all of you.I have always hated the fundraising it hits you at a bad time of the year.Plus my dd wants to go to Spain didn't see anything i wanted and i felt bad about not buying anything but she wants everything.My middle dds school has a bunch of crap she wanted me to buy too.For my youngets they have a book and i might buy that.Going to check with my dh and see what he thinks.At least they had a company with a coupon book that you can use.Now that is something that is almost worth it.

Mish :)

cat lover 08-06-2015 02:55 PM

bump

cau 08-07-2015 11:45 AM

I remember when my private school ,which the whole neighborhood went to, sold stuff there was no one to sell to but family. Which could no more afford it than my folks

RobertaD 08-07-2015 07:16 PM

It is frozen cookie dough or frozen pies for $15 that all the schools sell now in the fall.

Roberta