Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Home Decorating & Repair > Decorating - Living Room/Den

Old 01-28-2004, 01:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Keeping a Desk in the Living Room

Today I put my desk in the living room. I know DH is going to freak over this when he gets home

I like having the desk here because I can see right into the family room and spy on the kids (especially my toddler) while I am at my desk. Before, I was just outside the family room with my BACK to them.

The desk is a rather nice looking piece of furniture and the colors of the wood do match the other stuff in the room. I put it in a corner so it's out of the way.

DH is going to say that a desk is not good to have in the living room, that I keep it too messy, etc. Yes, I'm a member of the Messy Desk Society but I do have to say that my desk is the ONLY place I leave a mess.

Possibly having it in the living room will motivate me to keep it cleaner. I already took out 1 Hefty bag of trash and 1 large crate of "things that belong elsewhere" to put away. Those HAD BEEN in, on, and around my desk in its old location.

I just love moving furniture around, though. It feels like I have a fresh start And hey, it's cheaper than shopping!
Old 01-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Barbzy
do you have a couple of drawers to put your note pad and pen into? It's amazing what you can hide in a drawer
I'm lucky my desk is in the family room for all to see but I have a set of doors to enclose (like a big cabinet) it so no one can see my mess.

~ Family Corner Calendar ~
If your state or country has a noteworthy
date/holiday that you'd like up on the
calendar, PM me.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:00 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My desk is in the living room too. And I too am a member of the Messy Desk Society

LMAO!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 01-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have mine in the familyroom, then I can keep an eye on everyone. I agree Barbszy, it's good to have it where you can keep an eye on everyone. Oh, I also belong to the messy desk club!

Carol

Old 01-29-2004, 03:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Well, I am amazed!

DH didn't notice the desk had been moved for about 3 hours and when he did, he said, "When did that happen?" He did conclude that it looks nicer there and it didn't clutter up the living room. I love the spot I put it in!

It's not the pens and pencils that get in the way here. On my desk I have a laptop, PDA, carved wood "mail organizer" that I could really stand to clean out , small boom box, mug of pens and a few CDs. I also have one clipboard with whatever papers are going to and from school, etc.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:25 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have our desk in the dining room, which is open to our living room! Same reason though I can keep an eye on everyone! I used to have it upstairs however I found that we hardly used it! I think its truly impossible to keep a desk clean!
Leighann
Old 01-29-2004, 06:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Barbszy - I'm glad your hubby liked the desk in the livingroom. Sometimes it's hard to get a hubby to see eye to eye on decorating!

Carol

Old 01-29-2004, 07:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Carol, my DH still doesn't get it that when I pulled out the couch from the wall in the family room, that the room didn't "get smaller." This from a man with a science degree Same couch, same room, no additional anything....

He has pretty much given up on me. He knows I'll move any furniture that I can push, pull or drag on my own with or without his input! And since I'm the one home all day he usually doesn't put up TOO much of a fight unless I "organize" his stuff.

Speaking of which, I picked up a nice picnic basket at Target today to "organize" DH's mail since he has no desk. He dumps the mail all over. This way when it comes in I can put it in his basket. It has a lid we can close and when we need to take it out because company is coming, it has a nice handle. At "bill time" he can just take the whole basket to the table where he sits to do bills. I actually did talk this one over with him ahead of time and he readily agreed to it.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Barbszy - my dh is the same way, I'm the one who is home all day, so I decorate the way I like it. I guess he's just gotten use to it after 24 yrs of marriage. Good idea with the picnic basket! I bought these little wall pockets a few years back for our mail. There are three of them, so one is for household bills, one for business bills and one for things to be filled. Well, my dh told me he never knew when his business bills came, so I put a clothespin on the outside and clipped the new bills on it so he could see them. Well, then he said he would forget to look at them (all the time kind of blaming me!). I finally gave up and I just put them inside and I told him when he came up with a better system to let me know. I think I was making it to easy for him! Geez, men can be so annoying sometimes! Gotta love em when they're not though! lol

Carol