Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Crafty Corner

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 07-21-2002, 07:20 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

What to do with bathroom tiles?

I have half a box of mauve bathroom tiles (4.25" square) that I will never use in my bathroom again since I am changing the decor in there. These were extra tiles left over from when they did the bathroom before us.

Anyway, there has to be something I can do with these. The first thought that came into my head was painting snowmen on them, but then what? Drill holes and hang by thin chains or wire? Can you drill holes in tiles without breaking it?

Any ideas are welcome!!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 07-22-2002, 03:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here are just two ideas.

Make coasters, trivets or minim place mats: First give the Ceramic Tile a thorough clean with White Spirit or other alcohol based cleaner. Wipe dry with Kitchen Roll. Place the tile on a felt square, and mark around the edges. Cut a felt square to the size of the tile and set aside. Try to use porcelin paints that you bake for a permenant baked on finish.

Paint them, break them and make a mosaic.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:12 PM
Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Groupie

You can paint with the porceline paints as suggested by someone else, then bake them (make sure that your oven is clean so that the colors come out nice). Then you can either glue rubber feet on the back to use as trivits and/or glue wire hangers to hang them with. take a piece of wood that is 2 squares wide and 3 or 4 squares long and paint and glue the squares on it and use as a serving tray. You could put some thing around the sides as a border, like maybe a rope, then attach handles to the ends.

"Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements."
- Marcel Boulestin

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 07-27-2002, 09:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

These ideas aren't crafty, but...

(1) You can use them to line your cupboards instead of shelf paper--and you'll never have to do it again.

(2) You can use at least a bit as dollhouse flooring if you or a child has one.

(3) You can sell them or donate them to charity and take the tax write-off.

Have fun!
Old 07-28-2002, 02:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I like the idea of lining cabinets, you can just wipe them to clean them. But would't they be too slippery? I would place that sticky type non-skind stuff over the tile to stop from slipping... but that would defy the purpose I put them in there to begin with...

Ok just typing out loud here...

Old 07-29-2002, 05:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

What to do with bathroom tiles

If you glue 5 together, you can make a box that works nicely as a decorative plant pot holder!
Old 07-30-2002, 03:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

If you buy the wipe off markers at your office supply store, you can use the tiles to write short notes (then wipe them off to reuse). These are nice propped up on a cheap photo easel so the note can be easily seen.
How about paper weights/pile identifiers?!
My sister just painted on one and glued a clip to the back to hold a recipe and something to prop it up.
Good luck!
Old 07-30-2002, 04:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question 1/2 box= ?

How many are in half a box? If it's enough for a classroom, maybe donate them to a teacher to use for Mother's Day gifts, with this list of ideas. I really like the easel one. They could make an easel out of popsicle sticks, glue on some type of beads, feathers, whatever supplies the teacher has left, and attach a little note to the front. The moms would be on their own for the marker-we don't pay our teachers nearly enough.
Old 07-31-2002, 06:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What to do with bathroom tiles

A fun idea for those extra tiles is to create your own decorative tiles. I use acrylic paints and chunky stamps. Once the paint is completely dry, apply one or two coats of glaze.
If you have an artistic hand you can create your own design. I used fun foam for the raw side of the tile which I found had more grip than felt. Using silicon glue helps keep it water resistant. Because there is no baking involved these are not meant for placing hot items on or dish washer safe! A little soap & water and a soft sponge is all you need to wash them.
Here is just one that I made a few years back........had many more, but some how they mysteriously disappeared during my move last year. (Guess the movers didn't like purple )

Happy Crafting
Old 07-31-2002, 06:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

.....hehehehe....think i forgot to add pic....
if it doesnt upload and your interseted in seeing an example....just drop me an email....

Attached Images