Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Crafty Corner

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 07-10-2002, 02:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pecan crafts???

I have an over abundance of pecans that were too old when they were picked up. Can anyone out there help me come up with some ideas on how to use them in crafting.

Thanks,
Linda
Old 07-10-2002, 02:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Not a craft but a use for them

Q: Do crushed pecan shells make good mulch?

A: Absolutely, pecan shells make great mulch. In many areas of the country, they're readily available and reasonably priced. What's more, they're attractive and an excellent slug deterrent. Slugs don't like to crawl across coarse, jagged surfaces; when they encounter a bed mulched with pecan shells, they tend to head elsewhere.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks Shawn, I never really gave that a thought. I'll try your idea. We don't have many/any slugs here, but it would still be pretty.

Linda
Old 07-13-2002, 05:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I one time saw this amazing wreath made of pecans. They multi layered it making it look like flowers etc. I am sure you may be able to find a picture on the internet or a wreath book to give you some ideas about this. Hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:51 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Mini Watermelons

My neighbor had a miniature radio flyer wagon and filled it with handpainted watermelons she'd made from pecans. She used the rest of the pecans, painted as melons of course, to fill in some artificial greenery which she topped her windows and upper cabinets with. It was really precious and very inventive. For Easter she had a whole new set which she'd painted as Easter Eggs.
Old 07-13-2002, 06:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi tlesmom and EJaginLa,

Thanks so much for your ideas. Seems that I have seen a wreath with all sorts of muts and then pinecone flowers on it. I'll have to try to find it.

The watermellon and Easter egg ideas are just too precious. I will certainly try to put that to work. How inventive!

Thanks ladies!

Linda;-)
Old 07-14-2002, 02:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

What to do with an abundance of pecans

A long time ago, I saw in one of my craft magazines a whole family of tiny dolls and all their heads were made from whole pecan shells. They were adorable.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Pecan Crafts

When I was a child, my brother made a penguin out of a pecan.
It was a longish one. There were feet wired to the bottom somehow & the pointed end was the beak. That's about all the details I give you.
john11v5a
Old 07-19-2002, 07:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb pecan crafts

hello to everyone.

i once saw somewhere where you string up shell nuts with string and make pretty garland to adorn windows,christmas trees,mirrors, bookshelves etc.
i believe they took a small drill bit and drilled a hole across the nut and strung it up with dental floss. might look pretty with other dried items like cranberries etc. or paint a nut red every 10th nut or so.or add fabric ribbons in between every 10th nut or so for a country flair. or pinecones,or dried leaves for fall.

i also think they would make a pretty wreath. my grandmother used to make pinecone wreaths all the time with wire wreath forms. perhaps you could use grapevine wreaths and make a garland of pecans and then wrap it around the wreath. then maybe tuck in and hot glue other natural items like springs of dried herbs,pine needle sprigs,pinecones, dried berries,colored eucylyptus springs ,oak leaves, etc. whatever strikes your fancy.
wreaths or soooo much fun and versatile. it is hard not to become addicted to making them once you start. it is especially fun to see how many fun and creative (frugal) ideas you can come up with for materials.
good luck.
sincerely-sheila ann anderson