Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Clubs > More Clubs > Book Club

View Poll Results: Have you ever been to a book convention or signing?
YES 2 33.33%
NO 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

June 2016 book club

It's June already` Welcome to the book club where you can tell us about the book/books you have read this month.

If you feel like it, you can answer the question on the monthly poll. It's not always book relate, it's just for fun.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2016, 09:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Subbing.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hope all is well with you all. So far I have finished 3 books and started on my 4th.

The Stitching Hour by Amanda Lee, It's one of the Embroidery Mystery Series.
And Then There Were Nuns by Kylie Logan, one of the League of Literary Ladies Mystery series.
A Fatal Slip by Meg London. A Sweet Nothings Lingrie Mystery.

And Then There Were Nuns---
The Literary Ladies have to find out who's in the habit of killing nuns....
B & B owner Bea Cartwright has taken on the responsibility of taking meals to ten visiting Nuns, who are on a retreat at the Water's Edge Center for Spirit and Renewal on picturesque South Bass Island on Lake Erie. But the peace of the retreat is shattered when one of the nuns is found at the water's edge---murdered. And then when a second nun is killed, Bea and the other members of the League of Literary Ladies---Chandra, Kate and Luella ----start to wonder about eerie parallels with the Agatha Christie mystery classic, And Then There Were None.
Since Bea has the trust of the sisters, the chief of police asks her and the Literary Ladies to interview each of them. Expecting a confession maybe asking for a miracle, but Bea hopes she can at least find the killer before another nn gets crossed off the guest list.....
Old 06-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The Stitching Hour, by Amanda Lee.

In the last mystery by Amanda; Wicked Stitch, the future of Marcy Singer's embroidery shop is hanging by a thread....

Marcy's shop, the Seven-Year Stitch, is a year old this October, so it's time for a party in little Tallulah Falls, Oregon. Aside from the Halloween decorations and festive stitching kits and patterns, Marcy has all sorts of celebratory sways, including Seven-Year Stitch Key rings and goody bags.

Unfortunately, her new neighbors may spoil the revelry. An eccentric couple has opened a haunted house next door, and all that screaming will certainly scare off customers. But there's even more to be frightened of after a local waitress is found dead on the sidewalk with mysterious markings on her neck---and one of Marcy's key rings are found beneath here. With no time to hem and haw, Marcy must fast if she hopes to restore the peace to Tallulah Falls......
Old 06-06-2016, 01:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I finally finished The Cat Who Went Up the Creek by Lilian Jackson Braun. From back cover - Jim Qwilleran is enjoying his stay at the Nutcracker Inn in Black Creek. His two Siamese, Koko and Yum Yum, don't seem quite as pleased with the accommodations, though Koko does enjoy keeping a keen eye on the squirrels and other local wildlife. Then, while Ko'ko's eagerly watching some jumping trout, he spots something else: a body, floating downstream. When it's revealed that the victim was a guest at the inn--and had nuggets of gold hidden in his shoes--Qwill dives into the case. And if he and the cats don't solve it soon, they're going to be up a creek without a paddle.

I started this in May and it would have been a light quick read but just had lots of interruptions so finally finished it over the weekend. I've read about half of this author's "The Cat Who . . " books and enjoy some more than others. I did like this one.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I read book 3 in the Liveship trilogy - Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb

I love her books

In the powerful conclusion to the Liveship Traders trilogy, Robin Hobb weaves the spellbinding story of a once-thriving city on the brink of ruin, a glorious and mythic species on the edge of extinction, and the Vestrit clan, whose destiny is intertwined with both....
As Bingtown slides toward disaster, clan matriarch Ronica Vestrit, branded a traitor, searches for a way to bring the city’s inhabitants together against the Chalcedean threat. Meanwhile, Althea Vestrit, unaware of what has befallen Bingtown and her family, continues her perilous quest to track down and recover her liveship Vivacia from the ruthless pirate Kennit.
Bold though it is, her scheme may be in vain. For her beloved Vivacia will face the most terrible confrontation of all as the secret of the liveships is revealed. It is a truth so shattering, it may destroy Vivacia and all who love her, including the boy-priest Wintrow Vestrit, whose life already hangs in the balance....

If you like fantasy- game of thrones etc she is a great writer.

Felicia

Old 06-12-2016, 06:44 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I appreciate the descriptions of the books both of you are reading.
I am rereading Ted Dekker's A.D. 30.

Here is the description from Amazon:
A sweeping epic set in the harsh deserts of Arabia and ancient Palestine.

A war that rages between kingdoms on the earth and in the heart.

The harrowing journey of the woman at the center of it all.

Step back in time to the year of our Lord...A.D. 30.

The outcast daughter of one of the most powerful Bedouin sheikhs in Arabia, Maviah is called on to protect the very people who rejected her. When their enemies launch a sudden attack with devastating consequences, Maviah escapes with the help of two of her father's warriors--Saba who speaks more with is sword than his voice and Judah, a Jew who comes from a tribe that can read the stars. Their journey will be fraught with terrible danger. If they can survive the vast forbidding sands of a desert that is deadly to most, they will reach a brutal world subjugated by kings and emperors. There Maviah must secure an unlikely alliance with King Herod of the Jews.

But Maviah's path leads her unexpectedly to another man. An enigmatic teacher who speaks of a way in this life which offers greater power than any kingdom. His name is Yeshua, and his words turn everything known on its head. Though following him may present even greater danger, his may be the only way for Maviah to save her people--and herself.

There is a sequel. I have that book borrowed from the library, also.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Smiling Dawn - That sounds like a great book. I am going to go find myself a copy. Thanks for sharing.

Felicia

Old 06-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

You are welcome, Felicia!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I bought both books off Amazon

Felicia