Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > All About School Ideas & Information

Old 11-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Are there any other Class Parents here at FC?

I have just been asked to be my son's class parent this year.

Right now we are going to start planning their class Christmas party.

I'm in charge of entertainment--they suggest a parent with a musical talent to demonstrate for the class.

I'm thinking possibly having someone read a Christmas story and then demonstrating something from that story. What do you think?

I also have to plan refreshments.

My first plan is to meet with the teacher next week so that I can get an idea on what they have done in the past. I hope to make this an enjoyable time for everyone!

I would love to hear any plans that have worked in the past.

I will be planning any activities for other holidays as well. ( Valentines Day, Easter....)

I'm planning on asking if they can do a simple Thanksgiving craft or if just sending a snack would be easier--they are so pressed for time as it is.

The big planning will take place after Christmas for thier class picnic to go with field days. I will have to plan a meal for the class and parents.

Now for the fun part----recruiting the parents to help with donations and their time. There arent many parents in my son's class that seem to really be involved. I went to his parent/teacher meeting the other night and 5 parents ( for 4 kids) out of 20 kids showed up.

Wish me luck!! I'm really hoping to have a good time with this!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 11-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, if this is a public school you should really check the story with the teacher first. I've been on the wrong end of "religious material in the schools" more than once when I was teaching in public schools, and since I was a foreign language teacher and so many of the customs were tied up in religion it was really tough

Crafts are hard to manage, and time may be short so plan carefully!

Enjoy it! And it gets easier as they get older. I have been room parent for my big DS for 3 years running (middle school) and at that age they are just happy for as much food as you can shovel their way I do know that in the schools in our town where my neighbors' kids go, the bar is set quite high for the room parents in terms of crafts, gifts and food. Yikes! Talk to some other room parents in the school to find out what's customary there.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Thanks Barb. I am going to plan a meeting with his teacher to see what she expects from me.

I was really surprised to see how far they actually go with religion in my son's school ( it is public). I'm not planning on going with a really religious theme if I'm not expected to.

One thing for sure is that there isnt much time so I will have to plan very carefully.

I will let you know what I'm told once I talk with her.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 11-13-2005, 10:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

I am class mom for my son's kindergarten class. I was, I guess you would say, co-class mom for my other son's kindergarten and first grade classes. I have several game and craft ideas, but I have never done anything like you are talking about with the music and story. We enjoyed doing food in a certain color scheme (red and green stuff for Christmas, red and pink for Valentine's Day, etc.). The kids always enjoy decorating cookies with icing and sprinkles or small candies (storebought stuff unfortunately, of course). If you are interested in the crafts and games I have let me know.

Amanda (North Carolina)
Old 11-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I was the room parent for both my children last year, and have also been in previous years. This year I was the coordinator for room parents at my dd's school.

We give a folder to each room parent with party dates and times from the principal. Also included are guidelines as what is exceptable for each class and duties.

A sheet was sent home asking parents for specific items (premade check offs, ie spoons, forks, napkings, plates, crafts, food, etc.) A lot of parents will send something in whereas they will not show up for a meeting (excuses include babysitting problems, transportation, time). Don't plan complicated crafts or games unless you know you will have helpers there. Some teachers view it as a free time for them and don't participate in the activities, others do.

As Barbszy said watch out what crafts you do. I tried to avoid any with glue unless you know it can sit for a time to dry. Be sure to have plastic baggies on hand for them to put their craft or goodies in.

All have gotten into decorating cookies. This can combine the craft and then snack. For Thanksgiving can make sugar cookies, tail feathers are candy corn and tube icing for eyes and red thing (sorry forgot what it is called).

When doing games, think about the space issues and how simple it is to do. We combined stories with activities, such as a student had to do an activity when a certain word was heard.

As you stated meet with the teacher and see what she expects or wants. Some will give you free rein, others only want specific things.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~